Innovative Marine Aquariums

Any live stock Ideas for a 7-gallon...

Iphantom

I am doing a 7 gallon bowfront AGA same one as most of you have- and I would like some suggestions on livestock...keep in mind that this is my first salt water tank so I am very much a newbie-

I am not going to do corals as of right now simply becuase I dont know how to obtain the lights for my tank-anyone know?

for now with out the lights my live stock plan is...

2 p. clowns (or 1 clown and 1synchhiropus splendisus or 1 clown and 1 synchirpus picturatus i would really love to have one I just cant find any info on them)

3 feather duster worms

2 turbo snails

and what else....?

any suggestion are greatly appreciated

thanks

-Matt

um, Live sand, Live Rock. Just find a light, ask around, if you took the time to notice that most here have a 7 AGA, I would assume you could do the same investigating for lights.

No Lights+No Rock+No Sand=small boring fish only tank

small boring fish only tank=not a topic on a reef web site

Sorry, I'm just in one of those moods tonight. If you are new to saltwater, believe me, it is not as hard to keep corals as you think. I have more problems with my fish only tank then any reef. I'm just saying if you are here and like what you see, you should be asking what kind of light to get as the last part you will need before throwing in your rock and sand in preperation of your soon to have corals.:woot: Add the fish as the iceing on the cake when your nano reef is built.

First off, don't get a synchiropus picturas/spledineus (Can't spell latin names) - they are more commonly known as Mandarinfish and are next to impossible to keep in small tanks. Their natural diet is amphipods which are tiny critters that live on live rock. It is near impossible to keep a tiny tank well stocked with these pods when a mandarin is in the tank, and eventually the fish will starve.

About the lights - there are TONS of options here - read Chris' article on nano reef lighting (Under the Information tab) and look at members tanks who have 7 gallon AGA bowfronts and see what they use. There are definitley some easy corals to keep, and they make tanks look incredible.

Finally, not sure about two clowns in a 7, know its been done in a ten, but if you want more fish you may be better off with one clownfish and a tiny goby.

HTH

don't waste money on a feather duster. you will prbably get a few as hitchhikers on your live rock and I have found that those are the only ones that ever really survive. the larger ones tend to die, ime.

harbingerofthefish

Probally the easiest way to light it would be getting the CSL 32watt smartlite. Pops right in. Do a google search. Should be in the 45-55 range.

Your going to want to do some kind of coral. If all you had was a FO 7 gal, your looking at 2 fish. Then everytime you go to the LFS and you see all the coral, your gonna wish you could get some. IMO if you were to do a FO tank, get something a lot bigger (20+) that way you could actually get some of the larger "prettier" fish.

Ditto on the duster thing. One LFS near me will just scrape the back glass of their rubble tank and give away the dusters growing on it. And most likely you'll end up with some (or hundreds like me) from your rock.

Archived