ReefCleaners.org

coraline algae

donk

I have been using "coral vital" for about 1 month and doing 10% water changes weekly. I have noticed a little coraline growth on live rock but none on glass. How long dose this usally take?

harbingerofthefish

My tanks been up for 5 months or so. Besides the small areas of growth on the rock, I just have the smallest patch growing on my PH intake. You could always add more coraline to your tank from outside scources, or take a toothbrush to the areas you already have.

I think it scraps off some of the coraline algae spores and spreads it around. That way it will grow else where. I too have the same problem if you will. It's all over the rock, snails, shells and PH. But not on the glass??? My tanks been up for almost 8 months now. But I guess as long as you get growth that's all that should matter for now. Many have told me that once it matures, the stuff grows everywhere.

need a sea urchin? X) (sorry, inside joke if you've seen my display tank)

keep your alk/ca high and the coralline will eventually spread. i've found higher flow also helps and higher pH too. the two-part calcium supplements really make a big difference with b-ionic doing better than c-balance or kent's ime. good luck! ;)

My one tank is 3 months old and has coralline on the rock, powerheads, filter intake, magnets, and the glass. mine grows like crazy, purple, green, pink, orange. I use additives and lots of water flow. never scrubed it with a toothbrush, but I have heard this many times.

Coral vital, will not produce a significant growth of coralline. Tinyreef nailed it with suggesting high alk/Ca levels. My tank has been up for about seven months, and the back wall is a solid crust of purple. I keep the alk at about 11 and the Ca abot 420. I would highly suggest using B-ionic for dosing, I've used both Kents and seachems products in the past, but noticed only significant improvements in growth and stability when I switched to B-Ionic. It is the rolls royce of additives. One more thing to consider with coralline growth that is often overlooked is magnesium. Although your levels of magnesium should be sufficient through regular water changes with a good salt, coralline will not grow without it. So, if you go a couple of months with a good Alk/Ca level but no coralline growth it might be worth testing your magnesium levels.

Good Luck;)

Brianc_4: Thanks for the info. My Alk is at 8 dkh and Ca at 450 using B-ionic. I'm dosing with stro and myo as well. My salt is TM and so far all my parameters are fine. BUT I never thought of magnesium.......So do you suggest bumping it up? I'm also trying to bump up my alk, any suggestions?

Well, I did my weekly w/c a few days ago. I can finnaly see some Coraline growth on the glass:D

I figured w/ some patients, it would grow.

My only thing is that, I didn't dose for several days after the w/c??? (Lazy and busy studing)

I also changed from T.M salt to M.E. salt. I had my wife measure and figure out how much of the blue bottle to use. I'll have her give me the measurements later.

I'm wondering if it was just the salt or if I should cut back and do weekly dosings of B-ionic.

I'll have to try and experiment on it. Wish me luck!

Actually, ya know, I have a question about this...

What exactly does Coralline Algae LOOK like? I mean, how do I tell it from other stuff on my rocks? I have what I think are some flat, encrusting kinds of sponges, but I also have a lot of purplish and reddish patches that I think are coralline (Red coralline? , Purply coralline? ) but, well...I don't know for sure. I've just sort of been assuming. There's a golden-brown algae growth I've been fighting off lately that I'm pretty darn sure ISN'T coralline, but which of these other things is coralline and which isn't!?

Ratty

The one you refer to as "Red coraline" algae would be what we're trying to obtain.

There are many other types of encrusting algae, but I do believe that the purple stuff is best desired. The others can grow and over take coral if gone out of hand. Me personally, I like the way it looks:)

I'm sure their are others here who can give a much more detailed explaination. I'm too tired right now......sorry.

Archived