Innovative Marine Aquariums

Deresa

JPF

Thnking and only thinking of getting a Deresa for my one yr old 28 bow front. It is lit by 2 55w PC and a 32w PC. One damsel, bunch of hermits, various shrooms, xenias, leather, capnellas, green star polyps, ricordias, fat rock anemones that came with the rock (ya gotta live a little), hang on CPR fuge with 13w PC on 24/7. Pods a plenty, dose 2x week with Reef Complete and Reef Plus. 25% water change every 2 weeks. Good random wave action with my pair of ZooMed Powersweeps that I finally figured out how to keep running. Some sites say feed Deresa, others say dissolved nutrients and lighting appear to be enough. I don't like to kill things but I don't plan on feeding the clam anything special. Should I buy one?

Thanks,

JPF

Well since no one else seems to want to reply, here goes. Sure, get one if you like them. From the tank size and lighting I would say to keep him half way up the reef on the rock (won't do as good on the bottom). Under 2" should have some food given to it but light is it's main source of food, it is a filter feeder and should eat what is in your tank (including nitrates which aint bad)and getting and using some DT's Phytoplankton would benifit both the clam and the corals (and or feather dusters etc. if you have them). So if you chose to feed the clam you would also be feeding the rest of your tank (not a bad idea), but be carefull because you can also pollute the tank if you dose too much of it. The light should do with it half way up, if you try it on the bottom and you notice it loosing color and turning brown, move it closer to the light.

Although DERESA clam IS one of the heartier species, I would be cautious keeping one under yer tank lighting. They are Ca suckers and require LOTS of buffer and carbonates as well as food. Deresa clams are awesome ammonia converters, and do benifit form planktons in the water. I had a 4 inch one under VHO that grew HUGE in 2 months time. It also died from lack of food and constant harasment from shrimps and fish eating mantel slime at the same time. Just be cautious.

I will disagree with Liquid. Deresa are asnd bottom dwellers and will whigg-out if placed on a rock ledge.best bet IF you have to keep it up high is use a small plastic container filled with sand and set the clam firmly in it and let it attach its foot to the container. This will also reduce any chances of attack from "siphon worms" eating the exhalent valve or the rest of the clam from underneath.

Archived