Cultivated Reef

Acclimating?

Boo

I haven't been able to find any good info on acclimation. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I searched and still didn't find anything. What I would like to know is how does everyone acclimate new things into their tanks. Like how long and what do you use. Is there a difference between acclimating fish, inverts, corals? Thanks in advance for your replies.

set bag in water, let get adjusted to temp., then open bag, and put in bucket on floor. Using ariline tubing put a knot in it or a valve and use as a siphon. The valve/knot will allow the steady stream, become a drip. Drip for a while,(2-2.5hrs) net fish/invert/coral, put in tank

Originally posted by Djm9288

set bag in water, let get adjusted to temp., then open bag, and put in bucket on floor. Using ariline tubing put a knot in it or a valve and use as a siphon. The valve/knot will allow the steady stream, become a drip. Drip for a while,(2-2.5hrs) net fish/invert/coral, put in tank

it seems like its somewhat pointless to put the bad in the water to get it adjusted to the temp since you are just gonna use the drip method right after it. putting the bag into the water is somewhat risky since you are putting a small bag into a large mass of water, the temp of the tank will drive the temp of the water int he bag up or down in a matter of mins. this would mean temp fluc. why would you consider doing this, THEN use the drip method. JUST USE THE DRIP METHOD FROM THE BEGINNING.

I put the bag in the tank with it open and use a candle puter outer thingy (don't know the name of those stupid devices) to scoop out a scoop from the bag then put a scoop of tank water in the bag, I repeat this like every 5 minutes for a half hour to an hour (depends on how much water is in the bag, then release. If you can, net it quickly and gently and put it in the water, ich is everywhere and you may pour it into your tank. I lost a $50 Flame Angel yesterday due to ich and a bacterial infection from it scratching itself raw on rocks and it is no fun time (I am still VERY ####ed off). I am at the point where I never want to add another fish to the fish only tank in fears of the damn ich I hate so much. I did procrastinate on the medication in hopes that a cleaner shrimp, garlic, bla bla bla etc. would help it the natural way but in the long run, it is dead and all for an ugly ass cardinal my wife wanted. So DON"T STRESS THE FISH at least if you can help it and put AS LITTLE LFS WATER in your tank as possible. Stress zyme in the bag while aclimating won't hurt and keep a close eye on it for a while after putting it in. I just realized you never did say it was a fish, but you can do the same for corals inverts etc.

FLOAT BAG FOR 10 MIN. ADD SOMETANK WATER AFTER THE 10 MIN. SOAK. THEN LET FISH/CORAL/INVERT. IN TANK......WORKED FOR ME.....80 DEGREE TANK 3 FISH...1 SHRIMP, 1 CRAB

Archived