ReefCleaners.org

how much salt mix?

me03

I'm in the process of stockpiling supplies before I start my nano. I'm thinking IO 50g is a good start. How long will that last giving a weekly water change on a 10g tank with 10lbs of LS and 15 lbs of LR?

Me,

Thats plenty for a while! Say 4 months or so....and a good idea to boot...I wish I'd gotten the 50gal mix when I started mine instead of getting a 25 gal mix...just had to run to the LFS more often (okay..so I'm not all that upset about "having" to go and look at all the great setups at the LFS..lol) But that sounds great.

Later..

Deimos,

Your set-up reads very similar to what I'm going to try to do. I do want to put a Percula clown in, but other wise I'm on the same page as you. How long has your tank been running. Did you have any problems, or do you have any suggestions before I get started?

Me,

I'm a veritable rookie to reefkeeping...but I do read a lot...and have quite a few friends with reef tanks..lol. My tank has been up since the beginning of December....just about to add my fish later this week actually. (still deciding there...lol) As far as problems or suggestions goes...hmmmm....as much as I read...there were still things that happened that I didn't expect/wasn't ready for. Which is where this place comes into its own IMO...great place for help with the unexpected. Also..patience..in everything. Several pieces of the LR I picked up (from local LFS) had corals on them...and I was very concerned when the polyps didn't expand for a couple of days (after the rock first went into the tank)...very panicky...but with just a little bit of patience (about 5 days)..all of the polyps had expanded and are now showing signs of good new growth. Lets see..what else....don't sit in front of the tank staring at it..there's another good piece of advice..lol. Don't worry in general....there are ways of dealing with just about any problem. Just read, research, and enjoy it above all else....thats the reason you're doing it in the first place.

HTH...

Originally posted by LiQuiD

At 1 gallon a week water change and having 50 gallons worth (50 weeks), that would equal just about one years worth.

less than that taking into consideration that hell be using around 10 gal for his fish make up water. so hes down to around 40 wks.

Archived