Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Thinking about setting up a Nano!

Crimper

Hey Guys

Im brand new to this forum, and im in planning mode to make a 10 Gal tank.

I was think of making it a LR, LS, fish only tank, to start with.

I was just wondering if you guys have any advice for me as I go about the preparations.

I have no experiance with marine aquariums, however i have a lot of experiance with fresh water, Keeping African Cichlids.

So lets hear it.

Thanks

Crimper,

Best advice that can be given is to READ, READ, and READ some more. Other than that..if you're only going to make a FOWLR tank..I'd suggest that you go bigger than 10 gallons. Thats only 1 or 2 fish you're keeping (and not very "interesting" ones at that...2 clowns or maybe a small blenny or damsels..not the most "exciting" that SW has to offer)..and it may get a bit "boring" after a while. So..if you're heart-set on FOWLR..I'd go bigger...if not..then I'd put together a reef tank (and everything that entails...more lighting etc).

HTH...

See, i already have a 10gal tank here, that i was thinking of converting.

I was thinking Fish Only just to start, because i have never worked with coral, or marine before.

secondly Im on a budget here and im not sure if i can afford to go all out with the coral and ect.

Crimper,

Thats the best part about setting up a nano-reef. It really doesn't cost that much (comparatively speaking) to set it up. About the only piece of equipment that you need above what you'd need for a FOWLR tank is better/more lighting. Even 2 or 3 15w NO bulbs over a 10 gallon tank will be enough to keep some corals. Go out and build your own hood with a few cheap NO fixtures in it and you're all set. And like I said..keep reading...

Later...

Since this will be FOWLR, which ever species of fish you decide will be your pivotal species. What this means is this will be what the tank is designed around. Example: if you decide to keep an angler fish. You would need to design your tank around his requirements and preferences. Since they are ambush preditors you would want plenty of hiding places. Also since they are messy carnivores you would need GOOD filtration (especially since it's only 10gal.). *this is just an expample and not a setup plan*

So my advice is to first decide what you want to keep and then plan your tank around that. Like Deimos said "read". Research and reading and lurking on message boards are your best tools.

Archived