Innovative Marine Aquariums

In sump refugium layout question

markjd

I'm still in the planning stage for my first reef tank.

Currently I'm looking at a 24"L x 14"W x 18"H 25 gallon display tank with a standard 24"L 14 gallon tank underneath for combined sump + macro algae refugium. My plan is to split the sump in half with a thin wall in the middle: one half a macro algae refugium and the other half for a protein skimmer.

I've had a look around the web and I'm not sure how I should setup the combined sump/refugium. I've read that it's good to have the overflow from the display tank go straight to the refugium for better nutrient take up. The refugium then flows into the protein skimmer half of the sump and then is taken by the return pump back to the display tank. The problem I see with this is that any beneficial critters in the refugium will probably be destroyed by the protein skimmer.

Am I correct in this interpretation?

Thanks

Mark

Here's a sump discussion that's going on in the do it yourself forum. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=6383

I'm going to set mine up like the drawing I posted. Some critters will get taken out by the pumps but there is really no way around that with an undertank set up. You have to get the water back up to the tank. I'm going to run a CPR Bakpak on my fuge, because I have it.

most of the "critters" that you are talking about more then likly are to heavy for the skimmer to pick up. If anything the critters are more then likly going to be pods and they probably get choped up in your retun pumps impeller.

HTH

Archived