ReefCleaners.org

Spots on Yellow Tang

erikg

I recently noticed a few spots on my yellow tang's dorsal fin. As you know, a yellow tang's fins is somewhat see through. But these spots are more transparent then the rest. I'm not sure if it's ick or not, doesn't seem like it. I'll try to get a picture, but it might be difficult to do. Let me know if anyone know's what this is. Thanks!

I recently noticed a few spots on my yellow tang's dorsal fin. As you know, a yellow tang's fins is somewhat see through. But these spots are more transparent then the rest. I'm not sure if it's ick or not, doesn't seem like it. I'll try to get a picture, but it might be difficult to do. Let me know if anyone know's what this is. Thanks!

How long have you had the fish?

What are your water params?

What other fish are in the tank?

Do you have LR and/or LS?

If it is ick, you can treat it all you want....but in the end only the strong fish will make it. If it is ick, you can let it run its course the fish will make it or die. If you have LR and LS you will have ick no matter what you do(does not mean your fish will have, just always in the tank to some degree!)....if you have a hospital tank you can try to use a copper based treatment only in the hospital tank. But after it "heals" and you place it back in your show tank it could start all over. Ick is caused by stress...check your water, and make sure no one is picking on your fish.

It could be nothing....Don't freak out just yet!

BTW, I speak from personal experince and months of research and tons of discussions! But I am sure many others will have different views....in the end only you can choose what works for you......

xxoo

How long have you had the fish?

What are your water params?

What other fish are in the tank?

Do you have LR and/or LS?

If it is ick, you can treat it all you want....but in the end only the strong fish will make it. If it is ick, you can let it run its course the fish will make it or die. If you have LR and LS you will have ick no matter what you do(does not mean your fish will have, just always in the tank to some degree!)....if you have a hospital tank you can try to use a copper based treatment only in the hospital tank. But after it "heals" and you place it back in your show tank it could start all over. Ick is caused by stress...check your water, and make sure no one is picking on your fish.

It could be nothing....Don't freak out just yet!

BTW, I speak from personal experince and months of research and tons of discussions! But I am sure many others will have different views....in the end only you can choose what works for you......

xxoo

I've had it for 4 months or so. Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia are always at zero, since I haven't added much in a long time. The only other fish are a chromis and a tomato clown, and also some soft coral. I do have LR, and have a low sand bed, so not too much LS but some.

The tang police will get me for this, but this is a 30gallon i'm running. So i've been getting ready to trade the tang in soon time. It doesn't seem very stressed, he's the king of a tang, keeping the others in line. Don't worry, i'm not freaking out. I've been keeping my eye on it, and I don't think it's gotten worse, just about 3 small specks.

diease is why you shouldnt keep tangs in small tanks. call it tang police or what have you, you're asking for problems when you keep a fish like that ina small tank, period.

I've never heard anyone saying a yellow tangs fins should be clearish, they shouldnt. sounds like a nutritional problem to me compounded with the fish being in a small environment. Basicly, the environment being small and the lack of a complete diet causes a immune system problem, thus letting the fish become more likely to get sick.

Pics would help diagnose the disease, though if you make regular water changes and feed it well it should bounce back. though, being in a 30 will reduce it's life span, so if it keeps getting sick, you should move it to a bigger tank. that will keep the fish happier and be less suseptable to disease.

good luck.

If it's a bad infestation and is debilitating the fish, QTing would be best. Honestly, I'll recommend a 20-30g tank to QT a tang. a 10 or less just wont maintain proper water quality.

If it's just a few spots and the fish is acting normal, increase variety of food, meaning dont just keep feeding it one food. Make sure it has seaweed to graze on all the time as they are grazers. It's color will fade if not fed enough or without the vitamins it needs from variety. Make sure the temp is consistant at no less than 75. Dropping the SG is doable, unless you have inverts then don't do it.

Cryptocaryon, "sw ich", is stress related disease. keep things stable and feed with varied foods and usually the fish will bounce back. Garlic can help as well.

If you're going to QT make sure you use aged water and filtration meida. I never recommend copper as it's too stressful on most fish and doesn't have the positive effects everyone seems to think. it can debilitate a fish's immune system more so if the fish is already hurting from lack of proper nutrition. It would be like being anemic and starving and still medicating yourself for the problems that eating and taking vitamins would cure. it could make the problem worse. i'd say copper as a last ditch effort when all else has failed. if you caught the disease soon enough, you could have weeks before you'll NEED to use a drastic measure to help.

good luck.

Archived