ReefCleaners.org

Capturing a Brittle star?

JJshiv

I want to get a brittle star out of my tank. Its a fish predator and most fish only last 1 week at the most. How can I get him to come out so I can catch him?

I caught this little terror by placing a piece of a shark that I had caught at the local pier in the front of the tank. He came right out and I grabbed him.

• 2 weeks later...

I already did. Why do you say not to use shark? I just used it to catch the brittle star cuz I didnt have any other dead fish laying around. Im not gonna use it for anything else.

IMO,

i didn't want people to get the wrong impression that shark is the best way it to catch a brittle star. there is nothing wrong with using it for bait, IF you already have it. but why do you have it? i'm not exactly a big fan of using shark for anything, for food or for sport fishing. they are always getting a bad rep and needlessly being killed everyday. its just another one of the senseless human killings.

Actually, I did have it in my freezer because I did catch it and ate it. Sorry if it offends you, but why is catching a shark different from a salmon? The only reason I see is because of their longer reproductive time, but I didnt catch some endangered species or huge great white or anything. It was a smooth hound, something that is very common in my area. In any given day I can catch up to about 10 of them. I believe I kept the one that I did because it was hurt pretty bad by the hook. I actually dont really intentionally catch sharks, it just happens that the most common fish where I fish is sharks.

I guess I should have said though that I just used a piece of fish cuz any fish probly would have worked exactly the same.

i agree, any dead marine animal from the seafood deli section at the grocery store would have worked.

there are a few ppl that read forums that have a few less brain cells than everybody else, that would go and try to catch a great white shark (and somehow succeed ??? ), and cut off its fin so they could catch that 2" brittle star that might be predatory.

• 2 weeks later...

give people a bit more credit than that. Thats a pretty expensive undertaking to remove a brittlestar. I don't think anybody on this board would go through the effort to catch a great white and cut the fin off, just to catch a brittlestar, and anyhow what would be wrong if somebody DID, but they just took off a small portion of the fin, like an inch, they wouldn't have hindered the shark, kinda like a renewable resource from the ocean, haha, alright you are probably going to flip about now.....go for it. Catching sharks is fun

Justin... have you ever heard of shark fin soup? They catch sharks cut the fins off... and discard of the shark... cutting a bit off of a fish's fin is NOT a renewable resource.... the chance of infection is great... not to mention the animal is weakened thus making it more prone to predation. If you think killing animals is fun... maybe this isn't the place for you....

• 2 weeks later...

HHahahah wait til that shark is gnawing on your arm saying, wow these people must be a renewable resource, the just keep jumping in. And about killing marine animals for fun, well when i couldnt catch my yellow tail damsel, i considered knifing him for fun instead of tearing my tank apart to catch the litte #%%#$@, i only got like a dollar credit for it any ways.:x

I bought some shark steak today. The ocean is our greatest renewable resource. Fisheries are renewable, even shark. With proper management we can sustain fisheries and harvest much more from the ocean than what we currently do. I saw use shark to catch that starfish, just don't waste too much, save some for your own plate.

Archived