inTank Media Baskets

Nano Cube Mysteries of HOT AND COLD

cyrusthevyrus

cyrusthevyrus

Ok ladies and gents,

so i go to visit the rents and leave my apt for 2 days. well, it got a bit warm (GOD KNOWS FOR HOW LONG) but i went home friday nite and came back sunday day. my tank temp was like 87F and ohhh did I almost punch myself or my room mates. Poor clownfish were swimming on the bottom bouncing off of the liverock and as entertaining as it was I couldnt help but want to kill people. So i take em out cool em off and they are back to normal. oh btw my mandarin almost died. I had to bring him back to life for like 2 hours in a cereal bowl.

I use my desk fan as a countermeasure to the heat. So i pop the lid off and setup my fan to keep em kool. I leave early in the mornin at 0700 to go out and come home around 0900 at nite. Well, low and behold, evaporative cooling is awesome and inexpensive. Sad to say is that it causes water to bleed off and my tank temp was 67F AAAHHHH!!!! Once again my clownfish are laying on the sand bed and my fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp are having a cleaning festival. These lil dudes like must of overhalled my clown fish. My poor mandarin was all faded and my white gobi wasnt lookin to great. So then I warm the tank up and everyones happy again.

Now that I have tempered my marine life like that of a Hanzo Samurai Sword...how can I keep things constant? I got a Jager heater for the heat but what can I do for the cold. Probe? Inline cooler? What do you do that works well.

I've bought the ICA chiller from nanocustoms and have it jury-rigged at the moment... I'm contemplating a lighting upgrade so I haven't started cutting into my hood yet. That said, with a reefkeeper it keeps the tank between 79-80 degrees..... without a reefkeeper you have the ability to decrease the voltage to the chill assist to match it against the heater... or put it on a timer... with the chiller the lid can stay closed so your evap cooling goes way down...

Mandarin? How are you feeding it? I haven't read of too much success with these in small tanks.

I put an ICA in the hood of my 24g DX Cube. Temps were 85 - 86. Now I have my heater set @ 78 and the temps w/ the heater & ICA stay between 78 - 80. Problem solved.

cyrusthevyrus

i put the food in the tank and it eats? i mean for pellets i sprinkle on the rocks....then it does the hummingbird over the rocks and picks em up.

i put the food in the tank and it eats? i mean for pellets i sprinkle on the rocks....then it does the hummingbird over the rocks and picks em up.

WOW! This is the second time I read that a Mandarin eats pellets (Formula One or Formula Two small pellet food) http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/nftt/index.htm . These fishes are in the “Difficult” level and personally I consider them one of the most beautiful fishes for a reef aquarium. Please, tell us more:

1. How much time have you been keeping your Mandarin?

2. What kind of food it eats, what brand?

3. Did you trained him to eat pellets, how?

4. Anything else you think it would be beneficial for us to know.

Please, let us know…

Archived