inTank Media Baskets

Cyano! HELP!

xsamx

Not a fish problem. But i have some Cyano bacteria growing in my tank. Its covering some zoos and starting to make its way towards my torch coral. How do you get rid of this stuff? I've read articles. But just want to verify. I already recuced my photo period to about 6 hours. I put a power head blowing very gently on the corals its infecting. reduced my feeding to every 2 days.. Anything else im missing? Thanks in advance!

What is the source of your water? Are you using Ro or tap? If tap...that's a huge no-no, as its probablly nurtient-laden.

PS: Try some Chemi-Clean when you get tired of waiting for the "natural way" to work.

Dewak: I use Catalina water. I when i need to top off my FW i used ro\di water.

Six: I installed a new power head, very low flow. My temps where high a few days ago, now they're under control. I do run a skimmer, about 2 days a week, right before i do a water change.

It seems to be going away. I think it was caused from overfeeding. I was spot feeding my corals once a week with cyclo and mysis. The Sun coral needs to be fed almost every night when it's polyps are out, so ive read. I want my torch and frogspawn to get bigger so, im feeding them a lot as well. I dont think i'll be doing that anymore. I dont want to risk losing my tank to Cyano! From now on, i think i'll feed corals once a month. My clown needs to eat everyday, Hes a fat@ss so i know he always hungry! Other then that, i think the tank would be fine if i reduced feedings. Any suggestions? Im scared to start dosing again because it will only release more nutrients back into the water for the Cyano to get out of control.

you know what really helped ME during my cyano scare??

INCREASING FLOW! by a lot! but not so much that it blows anything over or it makes your coral sick but enough to blow off the cyano and keep it from coming back.

buy another powerhead, make sure there's no dead areas.

i'm serious. increasing flow by a lot will help you.

More water flow will help Cyano, but won't get rid of it.

Get rid of it's food source (it requires Nitrates and Phosphates to grow) and it will go on it's own.

Overfeeding is the typical cause of Cyano, as you've guess :)

I've made HUGE progress against my cyano just by getting my feeding under control..

it's pretty much completely gone now, used to be quite an issue.

Archived