Top Shelf Aquatics

My poor clown has a fuzzy eye please help her!

ilovethebeach

ilovethebeach

I have two percs in my 12 gallon reef tank for a few months now. All of the sudden my clown got a fuzzy looking eye. Today it looks like something is pertruding from underneath the white on her. Lately she doesn't swim around much stays underneath the RBTA. I have a 2.5 I can put her in if I need to. Do you know what this could be? I haven't added anything new to the tank lately.

Water temp 78 degrees

Salinity 1.022

No Nitrates or Nitrites

I did a 2 gallon water change this past weekend.

Thanks for your help. ~ Debby

i wouldnt put the fish in a 2.5 no matter how bad she got. thats too small to help. a 10 QT would be better as the water will stay more stable. a 2.5 may kill it inadvertantly.

Sounds like a bacterial infection AKA "Pop eye". Good water quality, proper varied diet, and all in all TLC will help. try some vitamins for the food as well.

you can medicate in a QT if it doesnt get better within 5-7 days. usually its fixable without QT.

GL

ilovethebeach

I called the fish store earlier today.

They said it has something to do with a worm bacteria usually lives in liverock.

I bought a piece of liverock from a store I was kind of leary about (kicking self) about a week or so ago, maybe she got it from there. I should always trust my first instinct. The water quality there was terrible.

I am going to go out tomorrow and get garlic for her food. Should I raise my salinity? It is at 1.022.

Actually they steered you right. It could be a worm infecting the eye, though it's not caused only by one thing, its usualy from wild stock or shows itself in wild stock. I had an angel once who got it bad and I had to freshwater dip her.

If it isnt going away, you could try one. a clown should take it pretty well.

How to dip-

Use FW the same pH and temperature as your tank.

Plop the fish in.

Time for 3-5 minutes.

The fish look at you with daggers in it's eyes, its not going to like it.

Put the fish back in the tank and let it rest with lights out til the next day.

Within 1-3 days there should be improvement.

Good luck.

Archived