Innovative Marine Aquariums

Starting a 10g. Some questions??

Zac

I would really like to start a 10g nano, but I just have a few questions.

- How deep of a sand bed should be used and of what grain size?

-What would be best for water circulation; one PH and a small HOB filter or two PHs. Also would sweeping PHs be better?

-I have PC lights ( 55x4), but the ballasts will run 36w bulbs, would it be better to run two 36's with the reflectors or three 36's without the reflectors?

- How much LR and LS will I need(aprox.)?

Thanks in advance,

Zac

much of what you're asking has been discussed many times. a search of threads and the members' tanks forum would yield you many options and ideas.

i would go with the hob and PH. the hob offers many more benefits than just two PH's. mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration. better O2 exchange directly and thru surface tension disruption (via return flow into the tank).

i'd go with the 3x36w (2-daylight & 1-actinic). thing is, i believe the 55w's ballast will overdrive the 36w (i.e. shorter bulb life ??? ). they seem to shine brighter when running on the 'larger' ballast, maybe just my imagination tho.

how much LR/LS depends on you. the LR functions as decoration, habitat, and filter. determining which one is most important will determine the shape and type. LS should be 1"~2" thick imo and <1mm~1mm granules, again imo. that will also depend upon what you want to promote livestock-wise (i.e. more worms or xpods or a mixture).

definitely read up on the hobby tho. it'll save you a LOT of time & money. the books will be the cheapest expenditure versus the equipment and livestock which may be MULTIPLE times! X)

good luck! ;)

Tinyreef's gave lot's of good advice there.

I'm new to the nano reef hoby and have been doing lot's of searching and after that was done I did more searching. The best is buy some books and find out what you want to keep in your reef. Then base that on how to set up your tank. Once you know what you want to keep then you will have a better idea on how much lighting and water movement you'll need IMO.

- For sand do a search on aragonite or LS. LS people seem to go with a bit deeper sand bed and aragonite(oolite- sugar size sand 0.2-1.2 mm) a 1 to 2" size seems to be what a lot are using.

- For LR a common amount is 1 to 1.5 pounds per G of water but then again like tinyreef said it is a mater of choice and how it looks in the aqaurium.

But like I said I'm new to this as well so do lot's of searching on the net and buy a few good books on marine setups and reefing to help get you started.

And welcome to this fun hobby.

Archived