Innovative Marine Aquariums

Keeping anemones in small tanks...

Sahin

I have a 36inch length tank.  I want to try keeping an anemone.  However, apart from the problems of keeping one alive, I foresee the problems of such a thing going around the tank stinging my soft and LPS corals.

Does it normally stay put or does it wander around?

I would really like responses from those with hands on experiance with keeping anemones in small tanks.

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

you can get lucky, the anemone can land in a spot it likes and stay there for a long time but eventually they move around and they can sting corals, they can disrupt the tank in generally and they can end up in the back of the tank, behind rock and invisible to the front.  You will be unable to see if it is dying and, if it does, you will have serious problem on your hands.  It is definitely an awesome sight, the anemone and a clown living in itn but not worth the risk if you ask me.

Sahin:

It does depend on the anemone. Some decide they like it where you put it and stay there the whole time you own it. Others decide that they want a better area and if your corals are in the way thats the corals problem. The biggest problem with them is that they can move. I wouldnt do it unless you have a tank isolated from your corals thats just my take on things.

second2n0ne

My BTA fortunately does not move around.  He has staked out a corner of a LR and moves only within that small space.  In fact, the only time he has moved around in the 5 months I have owned it, was when it split.  I have read that regular feedings and a gentle flow will encourage it to stay in one place.  As crowded as my tank is, I have never witnessed this creature reach over and sting other corals...at least not purposely like a lot of people imply.

second2n0ne: can you give me a link of pic showing your tank?  I'd like to get an idea of how crowded your tank is.

It would help me figure things out better.  Thanks.

i dont think its worth it to keep an anemone.....i had one and it was doing good for 2 months until it decided to move....into the hang over filter that is.....it looked good for a while...but after taht experience it made me not want to keep one anymore.....=) thas just my 2 cents

I guess I will back off from the idea...rather have a stable tank as it is now then have things possibly messed up.

anthony812

An addition of a Anemone , in my optinion is a great idea. If you get luck..they will stay in one place..you can see my pictures in my thread udate 6/20.  The Seabe just stay there and it won't move at all..and that has became a cleaning station for my clowns.  They would just lay in the Seabe and let the cleaner shrimp clean them.

Just be sure to find the ones that will stay..if not..just bring it back to the LFS and trade for a different one..My suggestions: Seabe are good, Rosy Anemone is GREAT! (but hard to find and very expensive), i think Carpets and bubles will be fine also.

reeffriend

Go for it, I have a 20 high which is two feet long.  My bta is within five inches of a hammer and toadstool leather and doesn't move at all or extend to sting other inhabitants and I feed it a lot too.  Just get a captive bred one as they are really hardy and easy to care for.  Your lighting will be fine too.

Okay, I have to admit... I have shyed away from adding a bubbletip for the reason of stinging.

In Joyce Wilkerson's Clownfish book, I thought I remember seeing a sythenic, 'homemade' Anemone that the clowns used.

While not very appealing to the eye, I guess it did quite the job. Anyone try this?

I'll see if I can dig up that picture/write-up.

Hmmm....yes....not very natural looking. :)

I think I'll pass on that one.  Thanks for taking the time to post it though.  Appreciate it.

jjharrisx4

Sahin...I think you'd be OK, provided you meet the anemones other needs.  36" isn't that much smaller than 48", and for that matter, regardless of the size of the tank, since the anemone can move any size tank can face the same problem.

My anemone is huge in my 50g tank, and it has been hit by the sweeper from my hammer, and daily crowds some of my button polyps but is no worse for the wear (over 2 years).  The polyps just lean away from the anemone.  I have to admit, the anemone didn't like the hammer sweeper, but it moved to just out of reach and there was no further problem.

I think If I were you I'd try a bubble tip anemone simply due to their size, and likelyhood of cloning.  Then you have something to sell for profit!

Archived