33 Gallon

Hot Magnun filter, one air stone

Parameters are:

Ammo - 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5

Temp 74

Salinity 1.24

Tank cycled for 1.5 months, put 2 chromis and one puple basslet, basslet died within a day, one chromis within 2 days, remaining chromis doing fine

Put 2 hermit crabs, one died within day

Put 2 cinnamon clowns one is fine the other is in a corner of the tank.

Any ideas or suggestions??

Thanks

if you added all of them at once that would have produced a shock to the tank. Your Nitrates would have spiked that could have done it.

sound like shock, which means you did not acclimate them right. try again with a longer acclimation period. how do i know this? I work at a lfs and lots of people come back with fish a day or 2 later. When i ask them how they acclimated them they say something like i poured a cup of water in the bag and then dumped them in. It would be like taking a human out of a sauna and throwing him into a pile of ice. hehe well good luck.

This is how I acclimated them, placed the bag in the aquarium for 1/2 -1 hr, slowly let water in, wait a few minutes, more water in and turned the bag sideways so the fish can swim out.

Is this the proper procedure?

Bumb that temperature up to at LEAST 78, 81-82 is better, most of the fish you are buying come from oceans that never see temperatures in the 70's (well, they haven't for 10-12 thousand years).

I would never, ever add water from an LFS to my tank. Net the fish out of the bag and place it in the tank saving the bagged water in case of shock. In general, it is easier if you cut your water while aclimating. I usually pour most of the LFS water out of the bag from the start and add about 1/2 cup every 10 minuntes or so. After the water volume doubles or triples, pour most of it out again so you can speed up the acclimation process. And use less of your tank water, which should eventually get thrown away. I usually acclimate until I estimate that 80% or more of the water in the bag is my tank water.

If your tank has a light/no bioload, adding 2 fish will over load your bacteria's capacity for dealing with ammonia production and it usually takes a few days for the bacterial populations to grow to proper levels, which is one reason people don't tend to add a lot to their tanks at once.

Archived