Coral Vue Hydros

1st post. Go easy on me! minimum req.?

Sydwaiz

Hi all. First, let me say that this is a great site and I hope to spending alot more time here. Let me start my question by first telling you what I have and then what I would like.

60gal running over 7yrs now. 4-55w PCs until about 4 months ago when I upgraded to 2-175w MH & 2-110w VHOs. Talk about alot of light on a 60! 1in. sand bed currently. I was running a deep sand bed and a plenum. Water seems better without the plenum, less algae growth on tank. Approx. 70lbs of LR with halimeda and some other macro algae growing on it. No refugiam, just a filter bag in the sump. I just installed a CPR bakpak 2R after giving up on my US aquariums skimmer. I don't have much livestock. 3 small fish, some mushrooms, crabs and snails. I hardly ever do water changes and everything seems fine. I dose with B-ionic daily and corraline is encrusting rapidly.

Here is where I need your help. I have always admired nano reefs but have always been afraid of trying. Now my wife would like to keep one at her office. She has been eyeing the little 3 gallon Eclipse system since it will fit on a shelf without being obbtrusive. I would like to know if this is adequate for a nano. I've read mixed reviews about biowheels but most importantly, I'm worried about lighting. I'm sure most of you know that the Eclipse hood doesn't come with much in the way of lights, just a small flourescent. I don't think I will risk keeping corals in it, maybe an anemone and fish and some crabs so I don't think I will need too much light. I'd really like to find something that doesn't look peiced together. An all in one unit would be great. Any suggestions?

If and when I do this, I will more than likely take LR and LS from my 60 to seed the nano. Also, when it comes to water changes, would I be able to take water from my 60 and swap with the nano? I know I will need to do constant water changes but I will let my wife do this since she is the one who wants it!

Thanks to all and I hope I'm not beating a dead horse!

Happy New Year!

Sydwaiz in L.A.

welcome to the shallow end!

pass on the E3 and go with the 7g bow imo. the scratches on the acrylic is the main issue. if space is really a problem then go with the 2.5g and we can then discuss the lighting needs.

not enough light. :|

definitely not enough light.

especially for an anemone. :

unless you're talking a deep-water type or aiptasia but neither host. if you pass on the anemone then the lighting is fine for a FOWLR. also she probably won't have to wc at all. LR/LS from your display tank is fine (preferable imo).

if you go with the 2.5g then get a nice custom hood made for it and you'll be set with retrofits or just for appearance sake. (dave, glazer, and ross had a sweet looking hood)

dave, glazer, and ross had a sweet looking hood
Hey, thanks TinyReef!

I just about talked myself into the office nano-reef as well, but IMO there are just too many things to go wrong - depending on where you work.

If you work for a large corporation (I do), you probably don't have much control over what goes on, environmentally speaking. Such as - scheduled power outages, office cleaning team (what chemicals will they use around my nano?), ambient temperature, etc.

Also realize that when you're on vacation, out of the office, sick, etc., someone will need to maintain the tank for you - which may be alot to ask.

If you work for a small office, or for yourself (I'm still searching for a way), you'll probably be better off.

I'm not telling you not to set up a nano at your wife's office, I just want you to think it through before you do. As an alternate solution, you could have a nano at home!

Good luck - and if you decide to do it, please post pics!

Thanks for the tips. I think I'm still going to do this but now I'm just trying to find the right tank.

Her office is climate controlled 24/7 and she has a few really good friends/coworkers who would be able to check up on it. She shares her office with one other partner and the cleaning crew only vacumes and empties the trash once a week so shes not too worried about that!

As for having a nano at home, I think I'm going to do that too! As if my 60 isn't enough work!

Archived