Top Shelf Aquatics

Compressed Air for transport

Xavier

Has anyone tried using the compressed air from the cans (used to clean your keyboard and stuff) to fill plastic bags for shipping? Is it truely compressed, or is there aerosol in there as well? If I were shipping something occationally, would the O2 from these cans be pure enough to use?

Do not use them, they are not oxygen and they contain chemicals to help the liquid dry quickly.

Shipping is fairly straight forward, use a minimal amount of water, use a large bag and use Kordons Amquel and Novaqua, a buddy of mine ships fish often and had some fish get lost on the way to Hong Kong, they were lost for 11 days and still alive when they arrived.

Its not oxygen. Some kid at my LFS told me that they fill transport bags with pure oxygen so the animals will survive a long time during transport. If that were so, each bag would be a bomb. :o

An idea for compressed air fill. I'm a paintballer and I use scuba tanks to fill my paintball gun airtank w/compressed air. A scuba tank can cost between $90-130 for a full size one and compressed air refills are $4.00. A on-off paintball valve for scuba tank use is around $60.

Not cheap for just filling your transport bags and probably just a waste of money. But for paintball it saves me a lot of money.

just checking, but were talking about shipping right? Yes, many places use pure O2 for shipping...especially for those 24hour deliveries. And if you dont need that...what ever happened to using an air pump to fill a bag? I didn't know this was a hot topic...

I would rather save the scuba tank for the scuba diving and my Bob Long Timmy anyways...:P

Archived