Pod Your Reef

Taking the Pico Plunge

Hokie03

OK, so I'm on the verge of crossing into the reef world and I'm planning a pico.

Due to indefinite military move timing and this being my first shot at a reef I am going to restrict myself to a wee little tank. Here's the proposal, if anyone has any tips, ideas, suggestions I'm all ears!

Wife's unused Red Sea Betta tank (just under a gallon)

Coralife 20W screw in 50/50 in a desk lamp of some sort

Filter: Here's the dilemma: I have the little red sea nano filter the tank comes with, gets decent current going in the tank. Anyone use this? Will it be sufficient to get the flow?

Hagen 7.5W mini heater (if I need it, I live in AZ and ART might do it)

Proposed Stocking:

LR of course

Zoos

Maybe shrooms/other softies

...We'll see from there how it goes...

My plan is to follow what seems to be the most common method of using water changes weekly to keep trace elements up and not dose the tank. Now is judgement time, without listing every thread on here I've gotten worlds of info/help/suggestions from the Pico forums and owe my inspiration to all you guys. Any tips you can lend me will be graciously accepted.

Well, here goes!!!

Sounds like you have a good plan. I have a 2.5 pico and here are some of my findings.

Make yourself an auto-top-off. Evaporation makes a BIG difference in small tanks. With an ATO it will make your life easier. I have my ATO dripping into the HOB.

Stick to weekly water changes like glue! On a small tank your size you might want to do 2 a week.

I have an AC20 HOB w/ some LR in it. W/ the Red Sea you could use it for carbon or floss as a filter. Just remember to change the floss every couple of days if you use it.

In my 2.5 I have Zoos, shrooms, Trumpet (candy cane) & Torch. I went w/ the same 20w 50/50 and it made a big difference in the corals. So good choice in lamps.

Thanks for the info, I figured evap would be an issue, the only thing I was wondering about was the bulkiness of the system in such a small tank. I would prefer to keep the top-off hidden, but will a float valve fit in such a small space without looking like trash? What type of top-off do you use?

Here is a pic of the drip ATO I use. No floatswitch needed. I set the drip rate to match the evap. rate. The bottle I use is a 16oz. spice container from a place called the Container Store. The tube is from an IV drip but you can use a plastic air valve too.

Drip_ATO.jpg

making a top out of plexiglass will really help evap as well. I have a 2.5 that I left the splash shield off of - in 2 days, it was down 1/2". put the shield back on it (it's got about a 2" gap at the back) and it's not evaporated really at all.

if I were you, I wouldn't go with shrooms - they get pretty big. If you do decide that's what you want, I'd get a really pretty one and limit it to just that one. That way you could make that your centerpiece with zoos and GSP around it.

ATM, in my 2.5 I have a blue spot shroom that is about 4" in diameter. that thing is HUGE. I'm hoping it'll split soon, because this one is really big.

you can see it on the left here -

PA170009.jpg

it's about 1" larger than in that photo.

Thanks for the pic, nice tank! Actaully I'm probably going to upgrade and go with the 2.5 tank, little more flexible than the little betta tank I was going to use. Thus, I will probably be going with an AC20 for more flow. I will probably just follow the stock rules of the contest, just to help with all the decision making and I know it'll work if everyone in the contest is following the same guidelines.

Now, with the increased tank size anyone have an additional stocking ideas I would be safe going with? Could I feasibly do a small goby/shrimp combo?

from my observations, i find that the pistol and goby stick together in the hole they digg...the pistols stays there...the goby (yellow watchman) goes out a lil but goes bak to his hole..i believe its fine if you put em in a pico..they'll jus pick a corner and do their thing

Thanks. It'll be a while until my tank is up and running and ready for livestock. So until then more planning...

As far as a cleaning crew I'm thinking some Astrea's and Nassarius? Any input?

Archived