Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIY-ing the ENTIRE tank/system. Yipe!

BlackSumbel

I'm making a "decorative container" Nano, from the ground up. The "Tank" is going to be an asian-style urn with a large viewing window cut out of the front (a peice of curved acrylic will go here), the filtration is all DIY (wicked sump system... I don't even know how I get it to work), the problem is the lighting. Due to the fact that it is an urn, the opening is only about six or seven inches. The lid has a good few inches of space, so I'm considering using one of those Lowes shop lights (possibly only one bulb) angled in and an acrylic "bubble" from another lighting fixture as a protective measure. This one, for reference , is going to be freshwater, but I'm currently working on another for saltwater.

Dimensions are about 15" High, X 10" dia. Viewing window is about 9" X 7". I estimate it's going to be around five gallons.

-Kris. DIY geek.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, having some -serious- issues with the lighting. I can't find anything that will fit into the opening of the urn, other than hallogen under-cabinet lights... which, I'm afraid, would burn the plants.

Uh oh! Sounds like it's time to bust out the LED's !

(man, I'm to sexy for my DIY, too sexy for my toolbox, too... )

Oh well, was just a thought...

metal halide might be overkill, but the only way to get that much light in such a small area...which brings me to my next point: I would never run a tank with that little area at the top for oxygenation. Maybe not too much an issue for a plant tank...but in a reef it could be quick death...from lack of oxygen and the effect that would have on pH.

C'mon now. Waterproof housings for LEDs w/ different Kelvin temps @ different depths in the urn. Also, integrate an internal moonbeam based on actual moon cycle.

YEAH! What the dood from Maui said!!!!

Hell while yer at it... put a watertight lid on it and turn it into a giant canister filter... with a window to a view no less.

Or hell just seal it completely and make one of those biosphere thingies out of it.

Don't be such a downer wetworx ,hehehehe ;)

Yeah, and once you seal it, bury it 10' down - time capsule style. In 500 years, it'll be accidentally unearthed and the next golden calf. Wetworx-ians will outnumber Christians by 2632 AD.

Archived