supernip

Tank poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What the heck is poll content?

• Take explodes before ending contest
    • Just for this nifty occasion
    • I plan upgrading
    • 2.54lyfe

I know that mine is getting taken down after the contest, and everything's moving to my 30gal. The GF said that I could enter the contest in hopes of winning things to stock my 30 with, and gave me the condition that I can't leave the pico set up after I start the 30gal. I'll be hanging on to the tank though, in case she ever changes her mind!

• 3 weeks later...

Everything in that ends up in this tank with be moved out at the end of the contest. My house gets so hot that I cant effectiveey cool this little tank there, so its at my work right now but they are moving there operations in March and the tank has to go.

I dont plan on putting anything in there that I would not want in my main tank at home.

• 1 month later...
Are all of you being realistic about your decision?
hmmm, i'm gonna change my choice/decision actually.

i think i want to setup another tank taking what i've learned from this contest already and other things i will hopefully learn in the 2nd half of the contest (yes, we're at the halfway mark already! woot!).

the Stock restrictions have really tied my hands on a number of things i'd like to do. plus, the space and viewing restrictions haven't made it easy either. still a couple of issues i need to resolve before porting this experience to a larger tank though.

a friend of my wife's already trying to lay claim on the tank but she knows next to nothing about aquariums, let alone sw or reefing so i doubt i'm going to let her have it (with a steeeeep friend-price <_< i can already see the "help" calls <sigh> ).

i'm thinking 15H or 20H for the next tank. i may have to trade off and kill my 75g FOWLR and downsize the display though to appease the mrs. :tears:

eh, it's only my soul.

• 2 weeks later...

turns out i will be holding onto to this pico tank afterall.

my daughter found out i was thinking of tearing this down after the contest. she's requested i don't, so the pico will live on even after the contest date.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

...im confused, why is this post still at the top? does it go up if someone votes? i thought there was going to be another contest or something but then i see this is 2 years old

• 5 weeks later...
rotarymagic

I know I didn't make a contest tank or anything, but I kept one of those deco art aqua vase 0.5G setups going for 18months till everything was overgrown and ended up into my at-the-time next tank...the 20long.

I had a branching hammer, zoas, a leather, and button polyps in it..

2 scarlet hermits, 2 astreas, 1 emerald crab, 2 bumble bee snails.

I don't know how I fit all that crap in there, but it worked...very well!

I'm thinking about starting another one because my old one got messed up after someone used my glass scraper on the acrylic while I was out of town.... this was the climax to that tank that led me to throw everything into my 20long...

My opinions on keeping this particular tank are... keep the stock black sponge, use purigen or polyfilter behind it... squeeze liverock rubble into the back and maybe alittle dragons breath. Move the light (It's a 7w) as close to the surface of the water as possible and keep up with topoffs and water changes... It really wasn't that hard. My weekly maintenance was a whopping combined 10 minutes which included top ups, changing 1 cup of water a week, adding 2 drops of kent microvert food a week, scrubbing the walls with a toothbrush and using the hacked up (even the small size is too darn big) acrylic scraper to get coralline in check.

Hmm.... maybe we should do an Aquavase contest.. haha.

• 7 months later...

$300 is the spending limit so technically if they a bazillion bucks they'd be out of the contest and it wouldn't be a contest tank anymore.

Archived