Cultivated Reef

GE 13w compacts

reefist

Does anyone know the color temperature of GE 13w compacts that are commonly available? GE hasn't gotten back to me yet. On their site it says those bulbs are available in a variety of colors, including 65K.

In the numerous 13w threads in the DIY forum it was mentioned that Walmart carries a 13w 6500 K PC tube. I haven't found it yet in my local store but you might check there. A search in the DIY forum, or maybe the whole board, will reveal more.

edit: Hey! I'm in Monroe--about 55 minutes SE of Madison. Do you have any recommendations for good aquaria stores in Madison that carry reef items or saltwater fish? I've been to a couple stores but I don't know the area real well yet...

I'm thinking of getting my rock from HarborAquatics, down in Indiana, but if there is a great local store, I'd take a look there too.

Hey Neighbor!

There are four stores in Madison, however, I wouldn't recommend any of them. Unfortunately we have no choice but what is here. I moved here from Washington D.C. about two years ago and compared to what I am used to, the stores here are poor. Once in a while you can find nice pieces, you just have to be patient.

It's a downright injustice that ALL of our PC replacement bulbs here are either 2700k or 4100k, very very few suppliers bring in daylight colour and when they do.... .$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$... outta my league

Originally posted by lizbeth

The one's at Wally are in the lamp department not the light bulb section. Right next to the 9.99 13 watt lamp that you can tear apart for parts. :)

I'm going to have to hunt down this lamp department. I thought I found it but all they had were metal lamps. A few desktop lamps but the fancy kind. No cheap plastic power compacts in sight. Guess I have to actually ask them :.

Not sure if this will help you or not. Home Depot (at least ours does) carries a line of screw in PC bulbs made by Commercial Electric. They have a 6500k self ballasted bulb that will screw into a regular incandescent socket. The PN is 772-429 and I believe, if memory serves, that it is rated @ 19w. Also, check out the Lights of America display at Home Depot. They will be located in the section with the outdoor security lights. They make a series of lights called Fluorex that uses 6500k bulbs. I THINK there is one that uses a 13w bulb...I know there is a 27w quad. You can buy the whole fixture for about $30. And, check with www.ahsupply.com . You can get their 13w Bright Kit for about $19. It comes with a reflector. They have 6400k bulbs for $5 and 10000k/actinics for $8. I have ordered from them several times and their stuff seems to be good quality.

Logan J

Archived