Cultivated Reef

lighting

aquaboy

hey all,

i am just starting to set up a nano-reef in a ten gallon tank.  i have posted on other sights and have gotten alot of diffrent answers to the basics, so if you all can help with the answers..... first of all, i was told by my LFS that i should use a skimmer combined with a circulation device instead of a filter, how does that sound? also, what kind of lighting system should i get if im intending to set up a reef with hard corals and anemones?  how much is the set up?  also, any other sugestions that are pertinant will help alot....

thanks in advance

Hey Congratulations on your 10 gal. I myself have a 10Gal and just started. I have the live rock in there for 2 days now and everything seems good. The only thing that is still questionable is the light. I have an eclipse hood with dual 15W for a total of 30W NO.  My LFS told me that I would need a skimmer, but after doing a lot of research it has come to a conclusion that it is not really necessay especially since you have a 10Gal. You will be doing weekly water changes and top offs which should keep the water in good quality.

However everyone has their own opinion and styles. I am going to plan on doing it without one first. I think slow and steady wins the race here. I will wait out and see how my tank is doing with 1 coral without a skimmer and then move up and up to more.

Lunchbucket

2x36w PC's worked great for me but i LOVE my 70w HQI MH and 1x36 w 03 actinic.  stuff is growing way better

i would NEVER put an anenome in a nano!!

and a skimmer isn't needed

Lunchbucket

hey,

how much do you think it would cost for all those lights, im in hs so i have a limited budget.  is there a short cut, i talked to a guy who set his up with pc lights from home depot he got for $12 each.  would that work? also, about filtration, my LFS said i should get a skimmer, and the general reply is that i dont need one yet, but, what if i got another 10 gal, and hooked it up as a refugeum, and used it to clean adn circulate the water? would that work? how would it effect the tank water? my personal thinking was that it might balance out the 10 gal i have, does that sound like too much? thanks for the imput!!!

I assume your LFS also wants you to buy that 100 dollar skimmer at their store? It isn't needed, not in a 10 gallon tank. And for lights, that 70 watt HQI and 36 watt pc are great if you want to keep SPS, LPS, or clams, but for keeping most normal soft corals, a 32 watt CSL Smartlight will be more than enough. As for using the lights at Home Depot or whereever,,, don't even think about it, I have tried and tried to search for lights with the proper Lumens and Kelvin rating for aquariums, but the fact is, the only ones that you can use are SOOOME 13 watt pc's and even those are the exact same prices and only at 6500K. I would suggest that you get a 32w 50/50 pc bulb for around 50 bucks including shipping and skip the skimmer, that is a proven good system for a lot less than the others described here. GL< hth,

gaber

hey, just had a thought, i was told by some people that i might beable to use a couple GE Spacesaver 13 watt lights, if i changed the light bulb and bought the 13 watt TAAM Realux bulb from Marine Depot, would i be able to use that?

TooFar2Sea

GE makes a 13w PC fixture for under cabinet lighting.  It is sold at Home Depot for $12.  It is the same as the 13w fixtures from Hellolights and AH Supply, except it is in a plastic box and has an on/off switch (both removable). You can add any 13w bulb you like.  Walmart carries 6400K 13w bulbs for $4. The only downside to using the 13w on a 10g is that you need at least three in my opinion.  They are great for 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 g nanos.

For a larger bulb, you might consider a 28w PC fixture by Lights of America, also sold at Walmart for about $8.  It comes with a round bulb but the socket fits 28w PC bulbs.

and there actually is a really good light you can get at home depot for 30 dollars.  it is a 65 watt flourex security light that is 6500K.  it puts out about 7000 lumens which is comparable to a 175 w metal halide.  i have one and the color is real nice.  others are using this setup with success also.  just a thought.  also i have found some 27 watt flourescent screw in bulbs rated at 6500K.  they put out 1750 lumens.  the color is also very nice, pure white with a hint of blue. here is the link http://www.efi.org/products/lighting/cflsprin.html i have one over my 2 gallon with a hello lights 13 w actinic and my frags are growing nicely.  only the 27 w is 6500 K.  toofar2see also has a good suggestion.  the ring lights at walmart are around 5 bucks and you can remove the center ballast and it has a plug that plugs right into a 28 w pc bulb. all you have to do is extend the wires.  keep an open mind, there are many cheap lighting solutions out there.  on more thing, if you go with the 27 w bulbs the ballast is connected to the bulb and ballasts are heat sensetive so you would need a hood fan.

(Edited by mxpro32 at 11:22 pm on May 25, 2002)

hey all, j/w, what do you all think of hte tanks they have in the store? good deal? also, another one of these debates..... corse sand, or fine sand, or both?

Archived