Coral Vue Hydros

What is a refugium???

Vish

-Is fuge use as a synonym to refugium?

-Why do we need refugium? My search showed that the purpose is to balance pH? Is that right?

-Is it optional or required?

-How we setup when if we choose to have one? Aquariums do not come with it...?

Thanks

--Vish

1. fuge is short for refugium.

2 ands 3. you don't "need" a fuge. a refugium is basically a tank that has a slower current passing thru it. This area allows more gentle critters, as well as those that would normally get swallowed in the main tank, to thirve. The area of refuge is usually used for planting macro algaes, housing a breeding ground for rotifers, copepods, and other more defensless animals. This is not a necessity but it certainly aids the tank better than a wet/dry or other filtration (my opinion).

4. there are many ways to set up a refugium. you can build your own, spring for a hang on back refugium like the aquafuge, build an in tank refugium etc. How you set one up would depend on your tank as well as your system set up, the area of space available, your wallet and your diy ability.

Hope this helps.

Also, if you decide you want a fuge, there are many DIYers here who have built their own. One guy built a NICE one from a plastic "Kritter Keeper" (think it was Glazer).

Visit the DIY section for home-built fuges.

Now why doesn't someone start up a business of selling fuges ;P...hmmmmmmmm, you would think someone would have done this since there are lots of people that make hoods and other stuff. Especially with the retail fuges being kind of poor or overpriced, or both :

hey Vish,

Yeah my latest is indeed a sump... well it's a "sump-a-gium" if you will.

If you wanna find out about the "KritterKeeper 'fuge" here's the thread for it...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=2260

A very simple setup indeed if you can set it up overhead plus it was wicked cheap. I think I have about 30 or 40 bucks into it including the bulkhead fittings, feed pump and el cheapo desk lamp with a 13 watt 6500K bulb to light it up.

Oh, and by the way.... your question about a sump being different than a refugium. Well in the purest translation of the word.... any thing in a "low spot" that receives "drainage" is considered a sump... as in any vessel under your display tank is considered a sump. NOW, what ever you do with it could provide it with a different name, ala refugium (but it's still a sump,hehe)... uh, did that make sense?...lol

Yup, Glazer's right on the sump/fuge definition....(wondering if he's seen my "Ghetto Kritter Keeper Reef" in the Member's section...ha ha).

And Vish, I'm foaming at the mouth 'cause you're gettin' MHs for your hood. Must be nice.....

On the PCs...it's pretty much your choice of wattage. If it were me, I'd go with the 2x36 kit & do one actinic and one 50/50 (& put the 50/50 in the back - the white portion at the very back). I've got a 13w actinic on my 10-gal that comes on an hour before and stays on an hour after the main lights, and it's a real show. It's amazing how much color actinic light brings out in corals.

Your setup sounds great...keep us posted.

A Refugium is a separate tank or container attached to your main tank that has a source of light and slower water flow and is a safe haven for lots of critters that reproduce and add greater biodiversity and natural live food to your display tank. A Refugium may be lit at opposite times from your display tank or 24 hours a day. If space allows, a large Refugium well lit when your tank lights are off, or 24 hours a day, will provide your entire system with amazingly stable and healthy water conditions plus supply your fish and corals with a new dimension of diversity and nutrition. Refugia are interesting systems in their own right and a glass or acrylic tank will serve you well and provide hours of fascinating enjoyment!

B)

Vish,

Another option would be to go with a CPR AquaFuge. The cheapest I've seen (also where I got mine) is at www.marinedepot.com. They have three different sizes. Since you're gettin' MHs, I figure money is no object for you... ;)

eha1322 is correct - it's a "safe haven". When I added my 6-line wrasse (for my flatworm problem), he not only chowed on my flatworms, but most of my 'pods as well, leaving my sandbed without much activity. Which caused detritus to build & my sandbed to look like crap (literally).

After adding my fuge about a month ago, I'm now seeing more & more life in my sandbed & on the tank walls. If you can do a fuge, I'd recommend one for sure.

Archived