SaltCritters.com

1gal Pico

soccerdude

If I were to setup a 1gal pico with 18w 50/50 pc lighting, what could I keep in the tank as far as corals? (e.g. softies, lps, sps, clams.......)

Thanks!

neanderthalman

Most Softies and LPS. SPS would probably survive, but would likely lose their color. Clams..not a good idea. Small clams have a lot of filter-feeding requirements, and to do so in a 1g would likely result in poor water quality. Eventually clams get big enough to survive on photosynthesis, but generally do best under intense MH light.

If this is your first tank, I'd recommend that you stick to softies and LPS. Sticking to corals that are primarily photosynthetic will kelp keep your water quality stable, and are generally easier for beginners.

Single coral recommendation, Zoanthids/Palythoa, commonly called zoos or zoas. They have bright colors, lots of variety, are hardy and generally easy to find.

Most Softies and LPS. SPS would probably survive, but would likely lose their color. Clams..not a good idea. Small clams have a lot of filter-feeding requirements, and to do so in a 1g would likely result in poor water quality. Eventually clams get big enough to survive on photosynthesis, but generally do best under intense MH light.

If this is your first tank, I'd recommend that you stick to softies and LPS. Sticking to corals that are primarily photosynthetic will kelp keep your water quality stable, and are generally easier for beginners.

Single coral recommendation, Zoanthids/Palythoa, commonly called zoos or zoas. They have bright colors, lots of variety, are hardy and generally easy to find.

Archived