Innovative Marine Aquariums

Scooter Blennies

Deimos

Hey all,

On my search for fish to stock the new tank with, I came across scooter blennies. I realize that these fish are related to mandarins and other dragonettes...but I was wondering...are S. stellatus/ocellatus more likely to take prepared food than the mandarins? It seems that I've found a lot more stories of them accepting prepared food cultures (be it mysis or brine shrimp) than their mandarin cousins. Anyone with any experience out there? I'd love to be able to keep one..but if they're just as demanding as the mandarins..I don't think I'll be able to keep the pod population up. Any help would be great..thanks.

Later...

I had a red scooter blenny. If you can find them I highly recommend them over the green much better color. It ate very well not flake, but it would devour any mysis, brine or blood worms I tossed in there (frozen). Unfortunately he died from a parasite infection which wiped out half my tank. I am considering getting another one. They also as a bonus stir up the substrate by digging into the sand at night. which is very cool all you see is his eyes sticking out.

002007.jpg

SoS,

Thanks for the info..I'll make sure I get one that is eating prepared foods (make the LFS feed him in front of me before buying) before I buy one. Beautiful fish, btw...too bad it died. Thanks for the help.

Later...

No problem,

scooters are a fun fish to watch. Watching them eat is enough. they move and poke very slowly and deliberately like a humming bird. Which means they eat slowly and will get out competed by faster fish for food you put in the tank.

I have a scooter in my 24G and it's one of the friendlist fish in the tank. They are interesting to watch to. also sos did yours biery itself during the night?

Originally posted by rocket_155

I have a scooter in my 24G and it's one of the friendlist fish in the tank. They are interesting to watch to. also sos did yours biery itself during the night?

Yes it did every night very neat:)

hey guys, do you think scooter blennies will eat flat worms? cause i know mandarins will eat them and they are very similar.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived