Cultivated Reef

Canister Filter for nano?

MacnReef

Question:

Why don't people use canister filters for nanos? I just seen a canister filter and was wondering why.

Somone will probably say that they are nitrate producers but what if you don't use filter floss but for a few days then pull it out?

Thanx in advance

I think canisters would be a good nano filter. I was going to use one but since I usually place my nano's on dressers or nightstands I wouldn't have the room to locate it cleanly.

To me the nitrate producing part only comes into play when the filters are not maintained enough. I'd do it every 3 weeks and make it a semi water change too. The gallon or gallon and a half in a canister would be a good water change.

Cameron

Originally posted by Physh1

The gallon or gallon and a half in a canister would be a good water change.

That's a damn fine point. If you try one Mac, I'd definitely get a spraybar for the output. Most canisters put out some heavy flow. I'm running one empty on a larger tank. Getting a load of liverock in tomorrow, and I plan on sticking a few of the blah pieces I already have in the canister for some extra umph.

just a word of caution. i used to use the fluval 104 for filtration and you're right its 0.75g was exactly the wc volume i used. but the restarting and scale buildup drove me up the wall. the fluval's removal was one of the main reasons i stopped doing wc's on my office nano, too much of a PITA.

the issue with the canisters ime (magnum's and fluvals) is restarting the flow/motor. they have the little built-in pumps but more of a PITA than a cheap & accessible HOB imo. it can get yucky in there too. :x

just my $0.02

Originally posted by MacnReef

Great idea about the live rock and spray bar.  How does the canister filter work for ya?

It's fine, I love it. It's a Filstar, the poor man's Eheim. I've used Eheims and Fluvals, and would now never buy anything but a Filstar after using one. Best bang-for-buck canister I've owned, and just as user-friendly as the Eheim Pro series (it's basically the same design). Comes with all the parts you need to set it up in just about any configuration you could want (multi-directional spraybar, high-power nozzle, extenders, elbows, venturi, etc.). It primes itself, has quick-disconnect valves and easy-maintenance drop-in media baskets with handles. And the best part is that they're under $100 on www.bigalsonline.com (If anyone from the Rena Corporation is reading this, you can now paypal my kickback).

I had this canister running for 2 years on a 55g mbuna tank (don't worry, never used chemicals or meds). Broke that down, scrubbed the filter out really good, and now it's on my new 46g marine tank. Can't speak from experience on how it would fare on a nano, but the only real issue I could see is the need to diffuse the outflow, which the spraybar would take care of nicely. Also, using a canister in a small tank would probably do away with needing any additional powerheads for circulation.

As for running LR inside of it, that's just personal preference. I don't like running constant mechanical media on reefs. It's just another thing to clean. The gunk collects in it, out of reach from your clean-up crew/filter feeders. Unless you clean it daily, it's constantly breaking down and spewing out waste. I'd rather let the crap circulate and let my detrivores take care of it, that's why they're there. I put LR in two of the media baskets and leave one empty for occasional carbon or short-term floss to polish the water.

So, canisters on nanos? This is an interesting idea I hadn't thought of. Let me know how this goes.

I've been running on on my 20. It works ok. I took it off last week in an attempt to see if more flow helps kill the algae problem. I took the spray bar off it and hooked it up to a powerhead.

They require more maintenance than a HOB. Be very careful when resealing the canister, make sure the seal and top are clean. Make sure all the clips are down and tight.

What kind are you getting?

Restarting canisters is really never fun but the way to make it as pain free as possible is to fill the canister 3/4 of the way. That way they start. Magnum filters are very easy to start since the motor is on the bottom. As soon as they start pumping they start sucking.

The fluval are a little nore tricky. You need to fill the 3/4 still but then either use the primer to help or hold the canister sideways till it burps the air bubble.

Either way I think they are a great idea as long as they are well kept and you have a nice place for it to hide.

Cameron

The nicest thing would be to contact a manufacturer and find out if they can make the canister clear plastic and a little larger. Reason being, you know the mutiple perferated chambers in them for different content (bio-balls-sponge-carbon), well, pack them with macro-algea in say 2/3 of the canister and small LR chunks (like bioballs) in the other 1/3, seal it up and put a small 13 PC desklamp next to the canister. Viola' an enclosed refugium and none of the evaporation. There may even be a way (don't know how) to get a DSB in the bottom of it to finish it off.

besides astetic reasons why no use a internal power filter like the dueto. I goit one (for somone else) and think it's great. It has a built in venturi so the out put could be sent to a skimmer.

Archived