Coral Vue Hydros

2.5 Lighting and Corals

sevise

Last year I started my first SW tank a 120gal, late this summer I started a 30gal cube. I saw the 2.5 pico contest and thought I'd give it a try to challange myself.

I'm going for the stock category so I'm limited to the 18watt PC. I'm familar with growing SPS, LPS and softies in the larger tanks but I'm not sure about such a small tank. What can I hope to grow in the 2.5 with the 18w lamp.

I'd like to go SPS but I doubt thats possible. Thanks for the help.

Mainly softies and some LPS and non-photos - don't think SPS in general will keep their color under 18w PC.

Stuff I've kept in a 2.5g

various rics / mushrooms / zoas / most mat type of corals (GSP/etc)

kenyas / xenia / toad stools / lemelias / etc.

LPS like hammers / candy canes / etc. also work. Problem is sweepers in such a small space.

I'd like to see an entry with a small colorful fungia and someone try encrusting monti's or a cap.

-Mike

Last year I started my first SW tank a 120gal, late this summer I started a 30gal cube. I saw the 2.5 pico contest and thought I'd give it a try to challange myself.

I'm going for the stock category so I'm limited to the 18watt PC. I'm familar with growing SPS, LPS and softies in the larger tanks but I'm not sure about such a small tank. What can I hope to grow in the 2.5 with the 18w lamp.

I'd like to go SPS but I doubt thats possible. Thanks for the help.

Get an 18w PC bulb with a good reflector (I recommend the one from the www.ahsupply.com 13w kit) and you will get a good amount of light in there. Can easily keep softies & many LPS. Most SPS aren't worth it, imho, as they'll pretty much lose most of their color.

Mainly softies and some LPS and non-photos - don't think SPS in general will keep their color under 18w PC.

Stuff I've kept in a 2.5g

various rics / mushrooms / zoas / most mat type of corals (GSP/etc)

kenyas / xenia / toad stools / lemelias / etc.

LPS like hammers / candy canes / etc. also work. Problem is sweepers in such a small space.

I'd like to see an entry with a small colorful fungia and someone try encrusting monti's or a cap.

-Mike

Arn't encrusting monti's and caps SPS?

Arn't encrusting monti's and caps SPS?

Yes they are - they are both montipora's - lower light SPS might survive under 18W if up high. The reason I say they may work is I have had them grow in very shaded areas in a 22" deep tank lit by 150 HQI. I've had encrusting monti's survive my LR curing tank for a few months under just NO bulbs, so they are pretty tough.

-Mike

Archived