Innovative Marine Aquariums

mantis shrimp baby

hansolian

I've had my nano for a year now, and I always thought I had a mantis shrimp (lots of empty hermit shells with holes near where the back would be) then I moved. And my hermits have been staying alive since then. A month ago I saw all these tiny crustations swining zig zaggedly hopeless against my current, and my watchman goby ate them as they flew by.

Yesterday I found a half dead mantis shrimp caught in my pre filter.

So my question is, Do I have a bunch of them in my tank? Do they often breed in the home nanos?

Lastly, are there any natural predators that eat mantis eggs, larva, juviniles? Emerald crab? Pistol shrimp?

Thank you,

Any help appriciated.

HANSOLIAN

When they are very young fish like 6 lines may eat the larvae. When they are free swimming like that not many things that are reef friendly will eat them. Your watchman will finish them off too. I'm not sure how you got them as you'd probably know if you had a pair of mantin shrimp in there.

I probably wouldn't worry about it yet as they are likely to get picked up by you flow and filtered out the way you had happen already or eaten.

In order to keep it from happening again (which will happen) you'll need to find the parents and remove them.

Cameron

The tiny crustaceans your goby was eating were probably amphipods or copepods, rather than baby mantis shrimp. No one has been able to raise mantis shrimp in captivity, including the world experts on the critters.

The fact that you found the mantis in your prefilter means your mantis problem is probably over, unless you really do have more than one of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Found another one! This will be the 3rd. I'm not crazy these are mantis shrimps, this 3rd one was heathier than the other two and got away. I found him by my filter using his 2 little clobbers cleaning his head. I keep finding them in the corner by my filter must be a good low current and good food supply. I have the last ones body, I dried him out to get a good look, defentaly a mantis. Any more help would be appriciated.

can you get a pick of the one you dried out?

how big are they? i am still betting they are pods but never know. pods look like little mantis

Lunchbucket

Archived