Top Shelf Aquatics

mating shrimp.

ricknbecky

Currently I have one pep in my 20h. I would like to get a second one in hopes of then reproducing. Int theory I am sure that this is easier than it sounds. Just get another and throw it in would be nice. On the other hand I am sure that there are other things that I must consider. First of all the sex of the shrimp. Does any one have any imput on this is there any thing that I should consider. Or is this (more than likely it is) another one of my ideas that is more than an idea than any thing else,and just won't work.

technoshaman

A good book on mating/raising peppermint shrimp:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

I would assume that most other shrimp from the lysmata family would be similar to this. You did not specify which so I am assuming it's one of the more common 'cleaner' shrimp (although my peppermints don't clean a damn thing except all my feather duster worms). There are aquacultured skunk cleaner shrimp available from time to time so somone must be doing it on a moderately large scale. The biggest hurdle is not getting a pair that will reproduce, the trick is getting the larva sufficient food through all their life stages up to their final molt (I think most people have trouble on the 5th molt?). Tons of information out there if you just google it but in a nutshell it's a lot of work - principally in acquiring/culturing food.

Adios

Archived