inTank Media Baskets

water change or not...yet...

Donna

10 gal. just a little over a week set up.Diatoms, fuzz?, and some green hair all growing to beat the band. I use R.O. from the supermarket that I tested for Phosphates from the begining. None found. Saw a small elevation of nitrites, ammonia, and nitrates but now I have 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites ,0.5 Nitrates, 8.2 PH, temp.81, S.G. 1.023. I just added 2 Nass and 4 Astrea snails today. I leave on lights 6hrs. a day for now. 2X36 1 50/50 and the other 6500. hagen 201 and aquaclear mini with no media. 15 lbs of live sand and 18 lbs of rock (Fiji and Kaileini)great stuff from Palmetto's by the way!..sooooooooooo after all this info.my question is do I do a water change or just let things be? I've gotten conflicting answers after reading past posts. I know the whole "new tank" algae blooms are normal but I figured so long as the nitrates don't get real high maybe I should just let things be for a month or two. Advise please??? TIA

i'd vote to just let it be. if there's nothing wrong why bother it? pull out some of the algae if it gets too much if you want or let the cleanup crew take a crack at it.

patience and knowledge, sometimes one begets the other ime. ;)

I was begining to wonder if this thread had falllen into "a big black hole" LOL and maybe a bit paranoid too:*( hmmmm 40 reads and no repliesX) was my question THAT dumb:*(

Well for a quick update....My 6 little snails have put one helluva dent in the algae already. The tank looks alot better already and they've only been in there for 3 days. I tested water again and everything is remaining stable. I tested for Calcium for the first time and its at 400. I'll hang in there for as long as I can before adding anything else. Thanks again!

...it's tough to "just hang in there" ...

I know...my new 10 gal tested at all zero's and 450ppm cal. after two weeks with 1 Turbo, 5 Scarlet Hermits, and 6 Astreas.

... I just had to go get 2 mushrooms and a hammer...;)

Soon as I get my new digi-cam back from the wife :( ...I'll post pics...

Archived