Cultivated Reef

New additions...

SubZero

Greetings all,

It's been a short while since I have posted anything, and I feel kind of like an irresponsible reefer becasue I haven't been taking as many pictures as I should.

Less than 24 hours ago I came home with a candycane coral....Basically I went to the one and only LFS here and picked the smallest one they had. They don't seem to be interested in fragging what they have so I have to make do. This one has 8 heads on it. There were only 2 of those that looked decent at the LFS, so I took it with the feeling that I would end up with 2 polyps to start with and I would probably frag off the dead or dying. I acclimated the coral, and placed it in a bright portion of the tank. Then I WALKED AWAY...it was hard but I wanted to leave it alone for a while without moving it around or disturbing it further. When I looked in on it about 2 hours later, 4 of the 8 polyps were looking pretty good. I got up this morning and noticed when the lights came on that there were some feeder tentacles sticking out of one of the heads, so I obliged and fed the coral pieces of shrimp. I just looked again now and 5 heads are looking nice and the color is much better...I am soo happy )

Here is a picture...I wish I would have taken a before shot

A few weeks back while browsing what little selection my LFS had, I spotted a soft coral that looked TERRIBLE. There was a piece of its arm that sloughed off and was laying at the bottom of the tank. I told the kid working at the LFS that I would like to take the little dying arm and see if I could help it live. He said that he would sell it to me for $5, so I thought...what the hell...and bought it.

I know this is irresponsible because I had no idea what it was (nor did the LFS employee). But, I got it home and glued it to a little rock and stuck it in my tank. when I got it it was about and inch high and looked like a piece of cauliflower with a slight purple appearance. It stayed like that for a few days then I noticed that the bumps on the cauliflower were starting to open. Now the thing it streched out like twice the size open and pinkish in color.

Is this in the Cladiella genus?? I know nothing about it so if there is anything I should know, please tell me...Thanks in advance

Mark

great post imo! ;)

patience has to be learned in this or most other hobbies for that matter. sometimes you need to 'take a walk' to settle your thoughts on the variables affecting your livestock or just to give the livestock a chance to show you change or improvement.

the softie looks like a capnella to me from the closed shot. how's it feel? leathery or slimy? :x the former would point to capnella while the latter to a colt (cladiella or alcyonium). it probably just stress propagated itself with the 'slough-off' at the lfs. good pickup! ;) good light (which it looks like you have) and iodine is what i use for it. altho if it continues to darken the light may be a little low. it should be able to self-compensate still thru symbiotic algae buildup.

if it opens at night you may want to feed it (not necessary tho imo). they don't always open at night tho, i have one 'problem' colt that doesn't but the rest do. (i feed sporadically tho)

Archived