Coral Vue Hydros

Pico Heater

MinibowMatt

I am getting my heater tomorrow for the contest. Im going stock, so i need a heater that will fit into the tank, be submersible and be reliable. Im partial to the tronic 25W heater. What do you use, what do you like if you were buying new?

Ambient.

Room.

Temperature.

actually JMT, i have it at ART now. its fine while the lights are on, but its getting cold here and the tank has been dropping to 70 at night.

the mini-therm is definetly the smallest heater, but i remember hearing some bad stuff about it. Any other small heaters?

I saw that finnex for the first time today.. i had never heard of it before, and i wasnt sure what to make of it... does it hold temp well?

I ended up getting the Tronic 50W...

I ended up not getting the finnex because I read that it keeps the temp. withing 2 degrees of where it is set. Too much risk IMO.

Also, I went with a 50watt Jager.

I ended up not getting the finnex because I read that it keeps the temp. withing 2 degrees of where it is set. Too much risk IMO.

Also, I went with a 50watt Jager.

I use the visi-therm stealth heaters on my nano's, they can mount horiztonally and can be placed behind the rock work and are black so if you use a black backed tank they don't stand out as much.

-Mike

i stopped buying heaters. what a waste of money

jmt's right.

This, of course, only works if your ambient room temperature is at proper reef temps ;)

If I did that, the tank would be swinging from 82 after full day with lights, to about 70 at night.

my ambient temps are anywhere from 70-75* and swing that far...so I installed a wee little heater on my empty 2.5G tank just to get it set, etc.

checked it today, it had cranked the temp up to 95*!!!!!

yeah, I'll be going ambient temps for the competition.

This, of course, only works if your ambient room temperature is at proper reef temps ;)

If I did that, the tank would be swinging from 82 after full day with lights, to about 70 at night.

Yea but for a tank this size the powerheads can contribute a lot of heat. I had 2 microjets in a 6gal eclipse and they kept the temp around 78degF. One microjet in my pico keeps it at 82degF. So I agree that a heater in most pico tanks is unnecessary.

Yea but for a tank this size the powerheads can contribute a lot of heat. I had 2 microjets in a 6gal eclipse and they kept the temp around 78degF. One microjet in my pico keeps it at 82degF. So I agree that a heater in most pico tanks is unnecessary.

Even if you are using an AquaClear 30 HOB? I am trying to decide on if I should get a heater or not ( I live in Colorado :\ ).

Even if you are using an AquaClear 30 HOB? I am trying to decide on if I should get a heater or not ( I live in Colorado :\ ).

im with ya dude, im in canada and its getting into the cold season..my 2.5G cycling right now..no heater and at night its around 70 during the day its around 76. Thinking if i get a PH hopefullly it can generate some heat and keep the tank at 72 at night.

I have a few of those Hydor mat type heaters (7.5 watts), which work ok, but there is no setting temp on them, and they are adequate to heat the water up a few degrees higher than what the ambient room temp is.........which was fine with us during the summer months with air conditioning on........They would be super if there was some way to control the heat with a control on them.........I played with one of them in a tank of water prior to putting it in a setup tank, and no matter how hot or cold the room was the tanks temp never got above 80 degrees........

• 3 weeks later...

Archived