Top Shelf Aquatics

2.5 AGA setup

Fishyfan

Hey,

I have been wanting one of these pico tanks for a long time so i finally got one YAY omgomgomg, 2.5 AGA tank at petco. So heres my equipment list:

AC 150 Modded into refuge

Visi-therm 50 watt heater

12" Coralife Aqualight

RO/DI system

Red sea salt

Aragonite sand (Depth???)

Anything else i forgot?

Im just planning to keep mushrooms and polyps. Any other suggestions for coral that wont outgrow this tank?

As for fish i was planning on a Naso Tang :lol: J/k dont send the tang police after me

I like the Hagen 25w Thermal heaters, as they're about 7". I don't trust the Visi-Therms, as I've used the small Neptune heaters (same company: Marineland) and all 3 I've had stuck on & overheated tank.

Sand depth: go about 1"

Certain tiny perching gobies would be mostly acceptable for the tank. Mainly the perching types that find a spot they like and generally stay there. We usually just go with shrimp and/or certain crabs for these smaller tanks though.

Grrrr i just looked at how wide the Coralife aqualight is and its 7". that wont fit with a filter cause the tank is only 6" wide. Any suggestions for a light for this tank? I could get a Jebo 11" light with one 18watt bulb but i dont know if that is enough light?

Hrm, would the coralife fixture fit if you added the legs to it? The AC150s aren't too tall, so it might. I don't use commercial fixtures though, so hopefully someone can chime in on that.

Yeah, get the legs and that should work. Another option would be to build a hood and use retros or screw-in bulbs. Do you have another tank? If not, then you can get ro water from walmart for about 65 cents a gallon.

I've seen a dual light like this one somewhere. I forget where though and I think it only came to 5-1/4" but not too sure.

I went ahead and built a hood for the screw in coralife bulbs. I used a weatherproof dual socket that I found on clearance at Home Depot. No switch though so it has to be plugged into a timer, as it should be anyway. There are several bulbs available with the socket mounts.

Coralife makes a 10 watt 50/50 a 20 watt 50/50 and I think 10 & 20 watt 6700k. I also know that I’ve seen several 10000k screw ins before from another brand.

I've also found that photographic supply places sometimes have vary accurate and long-lasting bulbs that are suitable and some are very tiny. I think I found that tip in Finner's book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist"

By the way it’s an excellent book to have on the shelves in the same room as the tanks. It’s very useful and colorful.

Ok so i found the things i need:

12" 18 watt satelite fixture

Aquaclear 150 moded for fuge

Fuge light

25 watt Heater

Tell me what you guys think of my equipment list. I saw what you said about the visitherm heaters but i have had one in my 30 gallon for 2 years and seems fine and reliable. I used one of the hagen heaters once and they were a pain in the butt to adjust and it didnt keep the temp. stable. Maybe my hagen was broken? If you have any other heater recomendations please let me know.

Archived