Coral Vue Hydros

Thus far

Hazenwolf

Thus far in my adventure of reef-keeping. To begin with I started with a 29 gallon tank I have added 45 lbs of LR and 50 lbs of Red Sea LS with 30 of natural sub. The tanks been up for two weeks now going on my third tests show

PH 8.2

amonia .25

nitrates 0

nitrite 0

Salinity .1023-4

I have aquired some hitch hikers from my live rock lots of alagea couple of crabs some worms that look like centapedes.

Right now my question is when is it a good time to add some crabs or some fish. I don't plan to do corals for 4 months or so I feel. I still need to aquire the lighting system. I also have some questions on filteration. I currently have two of them, a whispar and penguin one came with the tank the other was a gift. I orginally started both to clear up the tank and now its crystal clear so I am currently running just one the penguin. Should I continue using the carbon or stop the filters entirely. I also have considered buying a Hagen Fuval 204. My wife is complaining about the noise from the filters so I am seeking something a little more quiter. The drip noise from the filters doesn't bother me , but to her it sounds like someone is constantly peeing in the tank. Any suggestions to relieve this would be grateful. A man can only take so much complaining before he goes nuts .

I also did my first water change only 2 gallons. I seem to be having alot of evaporation even though I don't have any lights.

Thanks in advance..

Guest AbSoluTc

Looks like your off to a good start! :) As far as filtration goes, if you have the bio-wheel in the penguin - take it out as it is not necessary and will cause your noise problem.

You should not hear any trickling noise from your filter. Also, you need to leave it on there for circulation and oxygen exchange. If you really want to change your filter, look into a millenium 3000. Nice HOB filter with plenty of room in the back for a mini fuge.

Have fun!

when is it a good time to add some crabs or some fish
You can probably add crabs anytime, although I'd work on getting that lighting system pretty quickly. I'd wait a while on the fish, especially if you're planning on adding corals. Just my opinion - corals first, then fish.
A man can only take so much complaining before he goes nuts
Laffs... Your wife has no idea what you're getting into by deciding on reefing as a hobby. If she's worried about a little "trickle" noise, you'd better work on her a bit. :D

I don't know how much corals I will get into. I am still researching the lighting system for my tank size. I do want to do corals just don't know how much I will get into them. My LR I got from liveaquaria has a few corals on it. They seem to be coming slowly back to life. If crabs are alright then does red/blue hermits good to start with? I think I have a few already they have been crawling on the walls and a few took over shells from the substrate.

As for the filteration I don't know if she will adjust to it or not. I was thinking of using an air stone for surface agitation instead of a regular filter. And use a power filter for filteration.

I did take out the bio-wheel already.

I like to keep all options open for corals so I am still stuck on what lighting system to get. I would like to be able to purchase just about any coral for my tank an not need to worry about the lights not being strong enough. This is why I have held off buying. Any suggestions on lighting would be good. I already bought a canopy for the 29 I think I could easily DIY it for a retrofit kit. What do you guys think?

Archived