Cultivated Reef

2 month old tank still cloudy

neonnight

i know this is a nano board but i tryed other places with no luck i have a 75 gallon hex tank with 125 lbs of live rock 75 lbs sand seeded with 10 lbs of live sand.i have a magnum 350 canister that i clean very often it the water polisher cartrage in it. i also have 3 1200 maxijets on a wave maker,and a cpr bakpak skimmer, the tank has been coudy since day 1 and its 2 months old now i have been adding more live rock hoping that it will clear up but it has not.i have 4 damsels a few snails and crabs. all my tests are good and the rock and fish are looking great. but it just wont clear i tryed a water change like amonth ahalf ago and that did not help. some days the tank looks better then others but i have never seen that crystal clear water.i run my 2 55 watt pc lights for 12 hours aday.

i had a tap water di filter but now i have an ro di setup but i have only been adding to my water that eveporates with it i have not dont a water change with the ro unit yet

couple of q's and i apologize in advance if any are blatant 'duh' questions. :blush:

what's the 'water polisher cartridge'?

what kind of cloudy? true cloudy smoke-like or floating particulates snow-like?

what kind of sand are you using? (i.e. oolithic or larger granules)

have you tried a micron filter? i think ??? they have such cartridges for the magnum canisters.

have you tried shutting down all (at least most) of your water movement devices for a couple of days to see if it's just plain turbulence? (this includes the bakpak imo)

its the micron filter that i am using you are right and its white smokey water i am using southdown sand seeded with 10 lbs of live sand on the top. i also turned off all my pumps and power heads for a day to see if that would help but it has not helped at all, i tryed carbon with the floss filter and that also did not help

With the magnum 350 you can add some Diatom powder to the filter when you are using the polishing filter and turn it into a very effective Diatom filter.

Take a sample of your water to the LFS and verify your test kit results.

What are you feeding your Damsels etc?

How often are you feeding them.

That live rock you added may have contributed to your bio load unless it was cured rock and you got it locally and had it immersed almost immediately after you bought it, stuff on that live rock can die off pretty quick.

well, it can't be the live rock because carbon would definitely clear up that cr@p. Are u using a diatom filter as your micron filter ? That might possibly have a leak in the filter bag causing the powder to spill out into the tank.

Bacterial bloom? This live rock you keep adding.... cured or not cured? You say your tests are good? What is good? What kind of numbers do you have?

Tank is 2 months old and you did a water change a month and a half ago.... prolly before the cycle was even completed. Any reason for not doing any more changes?

Could be wrong here and probably am but it sounds like an ongoing bacterial bloom. The bacteria feed off high nutrient content in the water.... your ongoing additions of live rock and it's associated die-off could be fueling the fire so to speak.

the very fist 60 lbs of rock i got was mail order i cured it for 2 weeks because of some die off it came from a 2 year old system.after that i been adding peices from the lfs 5 min away thats all cured rock that i have been using. i dont use anything in my filter i jsut use the micron filter and thats all. i am feeding with flake food small amounts 2 times aday with an automatic fish feeder.as for another water change i have been told to just leave it for a while and it will clear well how long is a while hahaha i hear cloudy tanks vlearing in 3-4 days not months i have a pic of it but its not all that good

Nice setup! Has it been getting any better?

Are your damsels digging by any chance?

Although it won't solve the problem a 50% water change will definately help the appearance.

what brand of salt are you useing?

The light that you are using are they new bulbs or old ones? If they are old try changing them that might be it, I noticed that some lights make your tank look cloudy while others don't have you thought about changing the lights??? ?

Hope it clears up soon looks like it has a lot of potentual to be a great reef:) .

HTH

lights are 2 months old i have not tryed diffent lights yet. instant ocean is the salt i am using. thanks for the heads up on my setup its my first saltwater i have been into fresh water for 10 years and needed a change. some 1 told me to try ALGONE but i am not sure about it here is the link let me know what you think about it

http://www.algone.com/cloudywater.htm

you could give it ago just make sure there is no copper in it other wise yo'll kill off all your live rock. Also have you thought about adding a skimmer some of the small or "floating" particals can sometimes be removed by a skimmer.

HTH

I still say take a sample of your water to the LFS and have your readings verified, I've had test kits that were so out to lunch it is amazing I didn't kill anything.

Glazer suggests an on going bacterial bloom and I agree, get that water tested and see if your test kits are accurate.

i am going to have the water tested tomorrow i had it check about a 2 weeks ago and my ph was alittle off other then that the tests where the same. i do have a skimmer but it does not collect that much stuff the bubbles only make it half way up the collection tube no matter how i adjust the cup. you guys are a great help i wanna thank you for talkin you time to help me. after i get my water tested i am going to do a water change and see what happends i am making my water ro/di water right now that will take all day lol

Archived