Top Shelf Aquatics

chiller/pumprequirements

coralbuff

Hi All,

I have ordered a chiller for my 50g corner. The chiller requires 500-800gph.flow.

I know how to determine flow and head height but am wondering if the chiller will restrict the flow to the tank. If so, should I stay to the high side of 800? I have heard that chillers are more effective used on the lower side of their flow requirement. Is the "flow at head height" the rating I should use to size the pump to the chiller? I would like to go directly to the chiller from my sump pump and then from the chiller back to the tank. Here is a pic of my 50g corner, Just for fun!

I hope this is clear enough to understand and appreciate any help you can lend.

Thanks again,

Coralbuff

post-16383-1128918863_thumb.jpg

Why thank you! It's been a long process to get to this point. Does anyone have any advice on my chiller situation? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

coralbuff

I would venture that you will loose some flow to the tank. The pipe, elbows, etc adds to back pressure along with the restriction of the chiller itself. I would be tempted to overshoot the GPH and add a ball valve on the outflow side. Much easier to throttle the flow down than to come up short. Just my .02.

I would venture that you will loose some flow to the tank. The pipe, elbows, etc adds to back pressure along with the restriction of the chiller itself. I would be tempted to overshoot the GPH and add a ball valve on the outflow side. Much easier to throttle the flow down than to come up short. Just my .02.

Thanks man! I like the ball valve "throttle down" idea. I will do that.

I think I will go with a mag 9.5 My head height is 5 ft. so I added about 3 feet to compensate for the chiller and plumbing. If my calcs are OK this should put me at 600gph. return to tank.

OH NO! my green brain swelled up huge and just fell! Gotta Go

Thanx

Coral buff

• 2 weeks later...

Archived