Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Why is it called a 12G nano cube when it is actually only 10G?

ses4me

I just noticed this while filling my new tank today. How can they get away with this blatant misrepresentation???

are you sure it isnt 12 gallons COMPLETELY empty and with the filtration system on and filled.

are you sure it isnt 12 gallons COMPLETELY empty and with the filtration system on and filled.

Absolutely. Tank completely empty and filtration system running. Exactly 10 gallons. With some sand, it is even less than 10 gallons.

Absolutely. Tank completely empty and filtration system running. Exactly 10 gallons. With some sand, it is even less than 10 gallons.

What are the tank dimensions (measure on the outside) and what thickness is the glass.

RayWhisperer

No tank has the exact stated gallons to my knowledge. All tanks are rated by measuring the outside dimentions then that is calculated to gallons. A 55 gal. doesn't hold 55 gal. of water. If I remember correctly it holds about 51 or 52. Hope this helps you feel less ripped off.

No tank has the exact stated gallons to my knowledge. All tanks are rated by measuring the outside dimentions then that is calculated to gallons. A 55 gal. doesn't hold 55 gal. of water. If I remember correctly it holds about 51 or 52. Hope this helps you feel less ripped off.

Absolutely true. My 55 holds about 50, and my 60 holds about 53. Even using the dimensions you can see the capacity is exagerated.

Bill

i bought my 12g about a year ago and found this out when filling it ,call JBL and they told me they measurer the outside including the hood ,i never new that the hood holds water also i did a tread about it ,let me see if i can find it

Reefer Addict

I thought that they added the two gallons to compensate for the water that leaked after the tank cracked. I believe this would bring the total to 12g... :P

reefs_r_mylife

Lol.

Lets do a social experiment.

I need 4 people to call JBJ at different times.

Lets ask this question and find out if they are on the same page. I have heard millions of storys, about the cracks, about the ballasts, etc etc.

This is the first time ive heard an excuse about the canopy included in volumetric measurements.

LOL.

so..

Ill go first

- Rick -

1. Rick

2. Needed

3. Needed

4. Needed

• 2 weeks later...

I can second the comment about tanks having wierd volumes. I remember reading in one of my fish books that the formula is not the actual volume of water the tank holds. I've noticed the same thing about the cheap 10g tank from Walmart that I started out with--it didn't hold 10 gallons either.

I just noticed this while filling my new tank today. How can they get away with this blatant misrepresentation???

[/Your supposed to let 2 gallons run onto the floor when filling. go figure! i guess they didnt.

Archived