ReefCleaners.org

Cutting Ricordias

Foogoo

i'm curious about this myself. i read another thread about propagating ricordias that suggested doing radial cuts from the center out to the edge would cause it to split in how every many cuts were made. i made a few cuts but i can't really tell if it's going to split or not, right now it looks like it just healed the cuts.

I have never had any stellar success in cutting them while on a rock, pizza like.

Ricordea seems to hug rocks very tight when given enough light, and even more so when removed from the water.

So I like to place them in a dim spot for day and have them trumpet up a bit for the light, then close in slowly with scissors and snip quickly to get the whole shroom off and usually leaving a base still attached to regrow. Then I cut the cap very cleanly into 4 sections and do the rubble bowl trick until they repair and attach.

Peace, Bryan

Originally posted by logicalreef

Then I cut the cap very cleanly into 4 sections and do the rubble bowl trick until they repair and attach.

The base doesn't have trouble growing a new cap? Does it matter how low or how high you cut?

snip quickly to get the whole shroom off
Exactly. Just did it to one of my Ricordeas, then cut it into four pieces. I've read articles that say you can do as many as eight, but I'd like to see someone try it. Those suckers are slimy when cut!

All four pieces are growing back nicely. Bryan, I should be able to mail yours in about a month or so - they're too small now. Oh, and don't worry about sending me anything - my tank is pretty much maxed out right now.

cool, thanks for the information people.. last night i recut mine into four pieces and will report on the progress. they definitely slime alot which makes me a bit nervous in a nano since i'm sure the other corals don't much appreciate it. i let them sit in the cutting bowl for about 20 minutes before putting them back in the aquarium. the hardest part was getting the slime to drip off into the cutting bowl instead of in the aquarium.

i would imagine a large ricordea could be cut into 8 pieces, but mine was too small for that. my dad has a green one that is approaching fist-size. if he had the guts to rip the sucker off the rock it's attached to he'd be able to frag the ###### out of it.

I fragged one by accident. I got a small loose one from a trade and gently rubberbanded it to a rock. The next morning there were two, it had split where the rubberband was. So both are in a rubble bowl for right now.

i fond that mine reproduce pretty fast naturally. i got 2 ricordea(both attached to very small rocks) and 2 weeks later they have both split and now i have 4. i really don't wanna cut them if i don't have to so i guess i will just let em split.

Yes Metz, by all means if you have some fast splitters let them do their thing :) While fragging is great fun and keeps my hands out my main tank, I still prefer good old natural growth.

Peace, Bryan

I said i would report on the progress of my ricordia that i cut four days ago into four pieces. well, thanks to my bi-color blenny and his disregard for my corals i lost one of the four frags after he decided he didn't like them sitting on top of the rock where i had them... it disappeared under a rock or something. X) the other three seem to be doing great now and are sitting on the sandbed instead. there's only one that has a visible mouth, but i noticed one of the others has gotten quite a bit bigger, possibly doubed in size. sooo it looks like the remaining three are going to be a-ok. ;)

Archived