Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Anyone using an AC 300 on a 2.5?

Reefgeek

I tested it out last night, and surprisingly it doesn't take up that much real estate in the tank. I think the flow is way too much though, so do you think I should use an AC150 or ACmini impeller? Could anyone who is already using this combo post a pic? Thanks!

I used the AC150 impeller running on its lowest setting. You can also cut down the 300's impeller blades... or even cut one or two completely off... I personally have not done that... but it seems easy enough.

You can't just cut one off, as it will casue a bad imballance and the thing will vibrate like crazy, not good with a motor. You could cut two, but only if opposite sides of an even-numbered blade impeller.

The Mini or 150 impellers are the best option and should be available locally for just a few $.

I leak tested my 2.5 with an AC300 on the lowest setting the other night and it was pretty turbulent. I think its doable but probably not with a sand bottom.

Andy Somnifac
Has any one tried the AC 300 on the lowest setting?

I have an AC300 on my 5G nano and it just digs a hole in the sand under the outflow even when in the low setting. To combat this I just pulled the entire intake assembly tube up some. Easy way to reduce the flow without having to cut the impeller blades or buy a new impeller.

Don't think so.. but good thinking out of the box. Good to hear a fresh idea on this old mod.

Oh yeah BTW, using a carbon filter insert also can slow the flow down a bit... I place one in the intake tube area... immediately before the fuge. The tube can help hold it in place, flush against the inside lip.... water is forced to go through the media... thus slowing the flow a little.

Archived