Pod Your Reef

Found a baby snail on LR: Brown with white stripes

kinetic

Finally found a hitchhiker on my live rock! It's been 4 weeks now, finally something alive other than my clam that I found in my sand is alive. Can someone ID this snail for me? It's really small. (I lost my macro lens for my d70, sorry about the blurry picture)

DSC_0008.jpg

thanks!

Harmless nocturnal grazer, usually called "colonista" with either one or two L's. I can say with 99% assuredness that it's NOT a Sundial snail, before anyone notes... Pick it off the rock. Is the door flat-ish/maybe slightly domed, or an obvious long cone? If it's the former, then no problem. If it's the latter, then it's a sundial, a zoanthid-eater.

I have a million of 'em. Saw lots of new babies last night, too. Nice little fellas, no problem that I've found. And they eat algae!

"These are probably not harmful at all. They are most likely a small species of the Genus Arene (Astrea) or possibly of the Genus Macarene snail. The differences are minute as the two families are closely related. They are perfectly reef safe and will graze film algae at night. In the author's experience, they can reproduce quickly, becoming a small army in a short period of time."

Sure is. I bookmarked it this time, to post for the Q's next time they come up! :) (It'd make a good sticky or info page note.)

Archived