Cultivated Reef

Who can I ask for IDing help?

linty

Oh, and I've also read the hitch-hiker faq over and over for anything that vaguely resembles what I've got.

I'm going crazy trying to figure out what the weird thing in my liverock is http://www.forums.nano-reef.com/topic.cgi?...um=1&topic=3213

I know my picture is not very good, but it will blur no matter what I do because of the way the glass warps your view when you try to look through at a big angle.  

Is there any other webpages or any place at all I can go for info IDing it?  Right know I don't even know if it's a worm or a crustacean, filter feeder or predator.    

(Edited by linty at 1:00 pm on May 29, 2002)

well if it never moves then i think you can rule out predator...  is that a shell that is has on top?  is it shaped like a hat?  i have a snail-like creature that has a hat-shaped shell.  i can't remember the name of them now, but mine was also a hitchhiker and when i first noticed him he didn't move from the particular rock for atleast a month, then he started scaling the walls and rocks to eat algae!

I'm pretty sure it's not a mollusk, but if it is, it is one of those snails that doesn't move and eats by sending out strands of mucus to trap tiny things.  

However, not moving doesn't rule out predators...think trapdoor spiders :(

fortunately there arent trap door spiders in reef's or I would be nowhere near them!!!!!! I hate spidey's

Ok I looked and looked and looked some more. really you got me stumped. The only thing even close to looking like that was a specific barnacle from indonesia and it's not like how you described its behavior. They are stationary with a moving fleshy bit that protrudes from the top and retracts when bothered. but yours has a lid on it right?

I dunno sorry,

Toyfreek

yeah, all it seems to be is a lid!  I think it must be something that is designed to live in a hole in a rock, but that doesn't narrow it down much.  Thanks for trying though!

it's too fast to be an echidnoderm.  I'm thinking crustacean.  Dr. Ron at reefcentral said there is a type of crab that lives in discarded clam shells like that.

Archived