Pod Your Reef

gas bubbles

socalmmj

I've been getting bubbles building up in my 12 DX during the day. They appear to be more like 1/16 - 1/8" gas bubbles, not really micro bubbles. They even stick to the sand at times. I've been having a slight brown/red aglae breakout lately. Could they be a byproduct of this? Any other possible causes?

I've seen the same things lately. I've been a little sloppy about feeding - using more flake than frozen due to time constraints. Watch how much you feed - don't put too much in at one time. Also follow up with some weekly water changes - about 20% changes. What you're seeing is gas bubbles created by one of the brown/red algaes. You should see it start to recede, but it will take some time. It's not going to clear up over night.

Sparkling_Surfer

I'm having the same problem, accompained with cyanobacteria and hair algae...

Gggrrr, so frusturating! Phosphates were detectable but not "high"...high enough to cause these outbreaks. I recently moved and changed water sources. I think this new water is lower quailty, so I bought water from a different store (definitely RO/DI) yesterday. I do 20% water changes weekly and I manually remove the hair algae and stir up the cyano daily...

Not sure what else to do. Let me know if you find a solution, either by pm or this post :):) Thanks!

Sparkling_Surfer

My tank was born the 1st of May, so it is over 5 months old...like I said, it was moved about 1 1/2 months ago, so I'm thinking it's either from disrupting the system or the new water.

ProFlatlander15

i had cyano all summer while my tank was about a constant 85 degrees. i blew it off the corals daily and did 20% WCs weekly. i figured that someting had died and when it had used up all the nutrients it would go away. 3 months later, it has gone. i lost a few parts of corals, but it pretty much cleared up itself.

maybe run some carbon of chemi-pure or a product like that.

Sparkling_Surfer

I ran reef carbon last week and the bubbles were significantly reduced...Hmmm...I'd like to figure out the source of the problem rather than cover it, but is it a good idea to run carbon while I'm figuring it out?

Friends of mine were over last weekend and thought the algae on the sand "looked cool". It drives me nuts fighting it, then my friends make a comment like that. Makes me wonder if I'm fighting it for no reason at all. It's not taking over the tank, and is providing some more color. Maybe a little in the tank isn't such a bad thing.

Archived