inTank Media Baskets

10g cycle

me03

My research has been a bit confusing on this issue. I plan on using 10 lbs of live sand and 15 lbs of live rock. I've gotten a lot of conflicting advice as to how to cycle the tank.

1) Should I simply put it all in and set the lights for 10 hours a day?

2) Should I put it all in and set the lights to 6 hrs then 8 hrs then 10 hrs?

3) Should I add a fish to help the amonia build and "start" the nitrogen cycle?

4) Will just the LS and LR cycle the tank by itself?

5) If I just do the LS and LR will the tank cycle slower than with a fish?

6) If I do the add fish cycle, what are my chances of success if I start with a percula clown? I've heard damsels are very hard to get out of the tank after it's established.

I'm just looking to you people out there for a little more advice and less confusion. Please help.

No need to add a fish, especially not a clown (could be very bad and kill it). Damsels are very hardy and I have used them in the past, in fact I have always used them. You will not need to add any fish as the LR and LS will do the cycle for you. You will get mixed opinions on the light and I would say just start them off with your normal 12 hour lighting time. Again, you don't need a fish but as many will tell you, staring at rocks and sand isn't much fun. The LR and LS do a good quick job (if it is good LR and LS) and a hardy damsel should be just fine. Do all your tests until all is good then stock as you see fit (slowly). And if you no longer want the damsel after cycle, return him to the fish store don't flush him. Most of the time you will become attached to the first fish in the tank and you will end up loving him anyway. Good luck.

Oh yeah, a problem you may have if you start with the damsel is it will quickly become territorial (depending on the species but most do) and think the reef is his (this is a nano so territory is hard to come by). It will pick on the clown (if it is the same size or smaller) when you eventually add it, and may cause enough stress to kick off some ich (seen this happen before) which clowns do not take well to. Basically, what I am getting at is you may want to return the damsel to the LFS before you add your clown once all levels are good in the tank. Just a thought.

printerdown01

1) Should I simply put it all in and set the lights for 10 hours a day?

-sounds good.

2) Should I put it all in and set the lights to 6 hrs then 8 hrs then 10 hrs?

-sounds good too.

3) Should I add a fish to help the amonia build and "start" the nitrogen cycle?

-nope. You will have enough die-off from your rock to start the cycle. If you want, add some fish food (see above posts).

4) Will just the LS and LR cycle the tank by itself?

-It can.

5) If I just do the LS and LR will the tank cycle slower than with a fish?

-Add fish food, and let it decay.

6) If I do the add fish cycle, what are my chances of success if I start with a percula clown? I've heard damsels are very hard to get out of the tank after it's established.

-I don't recommend using fish to cycle...

Archived