Cultivated Reef

The new xmas clam, if you havn't seen it yet

LiQuiD

Well I posted this just about everywhere so here it is again, and may I add I LOVE THIS CLAM

Got a clam (maxima) for my 2.5 gallon. My wife said the tank had no color in it and looked really blah so she took me to buy this bad boy today with the gift certificate (cash in a card that said "go to the fish store Mike"). Pst, Jersey reefers, the night kid in Pet Place on 23 thought this 2" was 1.5" and charged me $20 for it. There are like 3 left. They also have like 3 zoo rocks (look like from ORA from the squares) that will give Bryans a run for the money, these were the brightest flourescent orange , yellow and green I have ever seen, the kid said he didn't know what they were but would give me them for $29. If anyone gets them while they are still there, I wanna frag for the info. I think I'm gonna get some more clams for the other tanks, this thing freak'n rocks, I never thought I would get this much into a clam. Had a blah looking squmossa (or however you spell it) a while back but didn't really care for it and traded it. Man I love this clam.

attachment.php?s=&postid=55086

attachment.php?s=&postid=55087

From another angle. I love how they are iradescent and are different colors depending on what angle you look at it at. This guy is from dark purple to bright green in color.

sweet i too just got a new maxi but mine costed 15 bucks for a 2 inch primi black and blue only because i work in my lfs but looks killer man

cam

Started phyto, 4 drops last night about an hour after he was in. Ca at 450. Alk havent checked in a few weeks but was fine last I checked. 26 watts PC's - 13 watt 50/50 (10,000k-actinic03) & 13 watt 6500k. 11 watts per gallon. Clam is 7" from light. He will be just fine.

As long as you keep up the feeding, he'll do fine. Although I would recommend feeding him somewhere else or else you can foul up the water easily, especially in your small tank. With this method u can do a lot of water changes at the same time too :)

Reserve a small tuperware container for it so it just fits in, dosen't have to be too bid. Everytime you feed the clam, fill up the container with tank water and put in the dosage of phyto needed for the clam. Leave the clam in the tub for 30min to an hour and then put him back to the tank. Remeber to make sure temp is still the same. Dump out the water from the tub and replace with some new water. That way, everytime u feed the clam your doing about a 1/4 gallon water change also :)

It will probably be fine. I just wasn't sure if you were feeding phyto. Nr53 gives a good suggestion but if you are constantly taking water from the tank the salinity will be very low(due to the small amount of water). Unless you have the patience to make new saltwater. It will definitely be better for the clam and your tank.

The removal for feeding is a good idea. As stated at clamsdirect.com at http://www.clamsdirect.homestead.com/files...mcareindex.html

or if you read the bottom of the co-partners page at http://www.tanku.net/

Some nice pics if you have never been to there site but most people who have had an intrest in clams have found them in a search.

The problem to me would not be the salinity, as I would do it during a water change. I have a 16 oz. Breakstone Sour Cream container that is used for the weekly change. Pretty simple, 16 oz scoop out, 16 oz. back in. I would put the clam in the container with the DT's and leave it there for a half hour in the green bath, then put it back in the tank with the new water. The problem I have is putting my hands in the tank. I used to have my hands in the tank constantly, just get sick of the scrub down before hand (no soap and a scrub brush). One sure way to foul up a tank (especialy one with an average of 1 & 3/4 gallons) is to put dirty hands in the water. I guess I could get a pair of salad tongs for him.

He will be fed nicely I might add. The light should be just fine for him, however, I am looking to maybe do (2) 50/50's and loose the 6500k for better viewing coloration of the corals which may cause some stress on him and cause him to bleach (they like the 5000k range, that which is good for my corals is not for my clam). As long as he is fed enough it will live and I will change my lights back if the bleaching occurs. I really would do it just for the clam. Did I mention I love this clam. And no, I don't know the sex of the clam, he just looks like a he to me.;)

Actually, I figured what the hell, I have my hands in the tanks every day anyway. I guess it's not that big of a deal. I usaually do a frag or a movement on water change days anyway so screw it, Dr. Mike has to go scrub now.

I like disposable plastic gloves, like those used in food service, you can buy them at any reputable drug store for about $4.00 for a big ole box. I have a pair of the orange Aqua Gloves but reserve those for handling 30# live rock boulders and deep tanks. The thick rubber on the Aqua Gloves also limits digital dexterity. With the plastic ones it is much easier to handle nano-sized frags. The plastic cheapos are great for shallow tanks. Put a rubber band around the top to prevent any water from getting in if you get a little wild with the scraper.

Archived