Pod Your Reef

Pics of my 1.5g pico

peanut1181

Hi Folks,

Well in just a few short weeks I've got the hardware done on this tank(for now!) It's a ~1.5g Ocean Free curved front glass tank drilled to accommodate a pair of 1/2" bulkheads that lead into a compartmentalized sump/refugium made out of plexi and bonded with weld-on(it isn't very pretty, but it is definitely functional.) The gear includes a Mini-jet 404 as return pump, a Hydor 7.5w mini heater and a 13w 50/50 PC in an Azoo Galaxy light fixture. I just today finished it up so I don't have any live rock in it yet, but it's coming on Thursday. Let me know what ya think. Comments, suggestions and critiques are welcome. (Yeah, the pics are awful... sorry!)

Peanut1181

e909fddb.jpg

9b2aabe8.jpg

b2c8831e.jpg

12a5af64.jpg

9ef71ecc.jpg

Yeah, I had been looking for a nice little 1-3 gallon tank for a few weeks when I saw yours on here a while ago and really liked it. It was the inspiration for the tank, but I changed it up a bit to suit my needs. Instead of the sump being placed elsewhere I just attached it directly to the back of the tank. And I also moved the bulkheads as close together as I could get them without weakening the glass too much so that I could leave as much space as possible for a small refugium. Your tank was really what got me started on the idea. I have to say though, I like the light you have on yours a lot more than the galaxy light I have.

Peanut1181

wow that looks great, a really nice clean looking job! I agree the light fixture could look nicer, I think I'd maybe ditch the temp guage for a probe type one in your refugium too, it's a shame to have something on the front glass that's not really needed.

Congrats! Looking forward to some stocking updates..

neanderthalman

how 'bout a pic showing the flow through the refugium compartment....I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.

I don't have a pic of things up and running yet, but I will by the weekend. The intake bulkhead is so far over because I wanted to cut down the flow through my fuge. I didn't want 100+ gph blasting through the fuge so I put it over to the side so that only a small amount of water runs in and out. I did, however, want the 100+ passing by the heater and the filtration(some carbon, sometimes a sponge.) This seemed like the easiest solution to restrict the flow to the fuge and still get the 100+ gph turnover through the filter compartments. Oh, and fras, the thermometer is going to be housed in the fuge so you won't see it in the main tank anyway.. mainly because I too dislike the look of it in the tank.

Peanut1181

are you going to get any flow through the fuge? Just wondering, because it seems that once the fuge is full, there will be minimum movement, since all the water is going the other way...

Don't take this as criticism, I'm still very much a newbie at DIY stuff like this, I'm just wanting to learn...

I don't mind if you ask questions or make suggestions. The more you question my design the more I am forced to evaluate it and that could lead to improvements, so feel free to fire away. Anyway, I still get movement in there. It's not a lot, but it's about what I was shooting for. I put some blue food coloring in the water yesterday to check out the flow and it seemed to do ok. I have a divider there between the filter compartment and the fuge compartment with teeth cut into it and the teeth that are closest to the main tank don't get water pushed into them b/c they are past the back of the bulkhead where the water exits the main tank and empties into the filter compartments. The teeth towards the back of the fuge, furthest from the main tank, get water pushed into them by the water rushing out of the back of the bulkhead. Because the water only gets pushed into the fuge through the teeth farthest from the main tank it creates a kind of swirling suction in there and actually circulates fairly well. It enters farthest from the tank and exits closest to it. It's hard to get your head around it if you can't see it in action but I hope that kind of helps a little.

Peanut1181

Archived