Top Shelf Aquatics

Is this what I need...

MacnReef

10/4. Good ol buddy.

This was just a much better shot of the socket. Who do you recommend I purchase the whole kit thru. I looked at marinedepot but it looks like their socket reflector combo comes with a cord with a quick disconnect for a PFO ballast.

do all metal halide ballast have two wires coming off of the ballast. or may I run into a problem where the kit I buy has two wires and my ballast has three wires.

Hellolights.com sells reflector/socket combos. Here's the link :

http://www.hellolights.com/methalparref.html

Just use shrink tubing or those screw on caps to connect the wires together. What I did was get an extension cord and cut it in half. Use the wire ends to connect to the ballast and the other to connect to the socket. Bam ! You have your own quick disconnect. The The socket uses 2 wires but for added safety the third wire is used for grounding the reflector/socket.

so when I go to splice these two pieces together, how do you put three wires on two. Is there like two blacks or two whites on the ballast? If anyone has a diagram or could draw a diagram I would be very happy.

Thanx to all!

isn't that one too big? It is like 13" wide, my tank is only 10" wide and I also want to put PC actinics. I was looking for just a flat sheet that I could just cut to fit, do you have any ideas?

Yea, a piece of shiny sheet metal will work. I hear those zig zag type of reflectors work well too.

When you splice the line going to you bell pendent, there should be 2 but POSSIBLY 3 lines. Remeber, green is always the grounding line. That means you should attatch this line to your reflector or socket so absorb any stray electrical currents. The other 2 lines should be of some other color. These two you will connect to the 2 lines comming from your new socket.

Great, thanks for the help. Once I get it, if I run into trouble, I may post some pics so that some one can help me hook it up the right way. But it sounds easy enough.

Thanx again

Archived