Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

coralline algae dieing?

xofinnocent

hey all- my 2.5 gal tank has been up for about a month and i have 55watt 50/50pc above the tank. (i know its a ###### load of light) and my coraline algae is white around the edges and has white stops all over the top- (looks kinda frosted)- is it dying?

how's your alk/ca reading? (also make sure pH is > or =8.2)

i'm assuming all your coralline is doing bad and not just one type. if it's just one species that's doing badly it could be a pathogen specific to that type. otherwise double-check your alk/ca level.

also try to determine which side of your rock was originally facing the sun (if the rock/system is relatively new). if you've got the shade portion facing directly up then it could just be the overload of light. if it's a more mature rock/system (imo >4 months) then go back to the ca/alk issue.

another possibility is salinity variation. have you changed your salinity level recently? excessive top-offs or opposite? how about temp. fluctuations? these could contribute to coralline problems.

lastly, crabs. altho i doubt it is if the problem is so evenly spread. hermits and crabs (if you even have them) will nibble on coralline but ime they prefer the stratified (wavy or whatever they call it ??? ) versus the encrusting type (in your pics).

i read at http://www.garf.org/news19p2.html that this is normal- but i want to check with other reefers to see if they had an idea.

exerpt from http://www.garf.org/news19p2.html:

CORALLINE SPOTTING: At this point you should be able to observe a thin white ring around the algae growth. This ring is an indicator that the algae are growing. Usually, there will also be white specs on the surface of the spots. On some species these areas will appear as individual white specs, while on some species the entire area is covered by extremely fine white specs giving it a frosted appearance.

good point, i thought you were talking about the big white bleached mass in the 2nd pic. but that's true a slight white or discolored ring could be new growth.

the spotting could be sporation or die-off/bleaching. it depends how it progresses. someone had a very good pic of random bleaching on their coralline posted here fairly recently. observe if the spotting is somewhat uniform or random.

Mine makes like little volcanos/pimples with the white on top. They are, I believe spores, and means your coraline is healthy and reproducing nicely. Look at the area of the rock under the xenia and or above the closer xenia, btw, anyone wanna trade for some xenia, I can't stop the damn stuff from growing and have more frags then I would like. Just keep doing what you are doing, this is normal and a good thing.

well just recently i added the 50/50 - i had a 10,000k bulb before- and after a few days the coralline algae started to spot- actinic light is supposed to help coroline algae right? so maybe thats it? better lighting breeds algae bloom

Archived