Coral Vue Hydros

EboJager Heater submerged?

Chromis

I use a 150 watt EboJager heater in my 28 gallon tank. On the top of the heater it has a line and says not submerge past the line but I have done so on accident a few times. I have also seen pictures of tanks on this board with EboJagers sideways in the tank fully submerged. Anyone submerge theirs? I'd prefer to but I figure there are isnstuctions on it for a reason.

Guest AbSoluTc

Actually, you might have read it wrong. The older heaters may have said that, before they were UL listed - but if its a newer model - blue dial with Farenheit tempratures on it, then submerge it to your hearts content.

Older models were all black with a blue/yellow dial that had numbers 1 - 9 on it I beleive. You can still submerge them as well.

The line on the heater says MINIMUM water level.

Hope this helps!

I am running a 75 watt ebo on my 10 gal. Back in my FW days this came up on a different board. People said they have to put that in the instructions to "cover" themselves.....(to what I don't know!) but everyone completely submerges their heaters with no problem. I did it with a 100 watt in my 20 gal for years. HTH

I have a couple of the older heaters - submerged in my sump for my FW. They have been like this for quite a while now, and to date, no problems. I am also doing the same in my nano, and yup, you guessed it, no problems.

Do'h

some heaters that are tested by underwriters laboratories require users to set it to a specific depth.

UL and not UL listed 50 and 75 watt has a line which says "Minimum Water Level" can be completely immersed.

UL listed 100+ watt is also the same...

but the non UL listed 100+ watt has a line which states not to submerge past that line.

reason is, it has not been tested.

just to let people know, some home insurance advice you to purchase UL listed products or else you void the coverage.

thats why some of them require you to list every single electronic products you have.."and how many windows you have" LOL

As mentioned, it doesn't mean don't let the water go above the line, it means don't let the water go BELOW the line or it will burn out. I believe this to be the case. Double check EXACTLY what it says on it.

Archived