Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Digital Camera Craze!

jburke30

Hey all,

So I grabbed the digital camera from work over the holiday, and took some new pictures of my tank. Eveything is still going good, and I finally nailed down my amonia issue (containers). There's been some minor problems with cynobacteria (mainly because I'm letting the algae grow unchecked), but I've been keeping it down with good carbon and phosphate filter pads (I've been making my own filter/media pads for my HOB filter. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner =). The bi-color blenny turned out to be a great choice, and has been fun to watch.

Now I just need to finish my stocking plans and get some coral. =)

Originally posted by jtown

looks like you got a lot of green like I do.  Hopefully some good ol nutrient export will solve my problem.  I'm planning on building a refugium this month.

Personally, I don't mind the greens at all. It's the cynobacteria that I hate with a passion. I'm going to get a couple of snails to (hopefully) clean up the glass a bit. I've left the algae to grow on the rocks for the blenny.

Originally posted by jburke30

Personally, I don't mind the greens at all. It's the cynobacteria that I hate with a passion. I'm going to get a couple of snails to (hopefully) clean up the glass a bit. I've left the algae to grow on the rocks for the blenny.

he eats that stuff? I had a blenny for a day and then he died. I got a gramma instead ... the blenny and my clowns didn't get along together as well as the gramma does.

So you don't have snails yet? Get like one astrea per gallon, scrub down your rocks real good and then drop the snails in. You will notice a lot less green from that point on.

Pretty typical succession of algae you have there for your sized tank. Get some good quality RO/DI water as your source, add plenty of cleanup critters and siphon off the rocks with every WC. You'll be fine.

PS don't mess with your bubble algae as you will only spread it.

Originally posted by jtown

he eats that stuff?  I had a blenny for a day and then he died.  I got a gramma instead ... the blenny and my clowns didn't get along together as well as the gramma does.

Yep, the bi-color blenny is herbervorous , and a number of sources that I came across said that they will only really thrive in a tank with plenty of algae to graze on. He's actually gotten bigger since I've had him, and he eats only the algae in the tank. I'm going to start feeding him other foods as well since I don't want him to eat _all_ the algae in the tank =).

Originally posted by LiQuiD

So you don't have snails yet?  Get like one astrea per gallon, scrub down your rocks real good and then drop the snails in.  You will notice a lot less green from that point on.

Um, but I want the green =).

The unbridled algae growth is for the blenny. If I add any snails it will be to keep the tank glass clean. I'm actually going to add some snails tonight, but I'm going to start with only 5 astrea snails to see how much impact they have (and probably 5 bumblebee snails too).

So far the only problems that I have had with having so much algae is elevated phosphate levels which encourages cynobacteria to form. I've been combating this with poly-filter pads and carbon, and have so far been successful. I'm hoping that the addition of some bumblebee snails will remove some of the detritus which will also discourage cynobacteria.

At this point I'm working to achive a good balance between algae, and critters. The cyno is the only stuff that I'll try to fight with other-than-natural means. However, with all the algae my nitrate levels have been great (around 4-8 mg/l =)

Originally posted by jburke30

Um, but I want the green =).

Some in the tank is very nice to have but you're virtually limited to Halimeda and some Sargassum spp. Most others get out of hand sooner or later.

Archived