- 25H

- PSL Custom Hood 2x55W 50/50 (10k,03), 1x55W 03

- 20# Fiji, 20# Tonga

- 4" sand bed

- Evap switch from Physh

- AquaClear 200 w/ foam and phosphate pad

- Rio 800

- Glass thermometer/hydrometer - only used for temp

- Two heaters because I busted one a few days ago and had to get a replacement...

- Under the tank is a 5g bucket of FW with a Rio 600 hooked up to the evap switch and an air pump to keep the water moving and aerated.

Critters:

- 2 large red legged hermits

- 3 left handed hermits (I think one has expired in transit :()

- 3 blue legged hermits

- 3 reef hermits

- 2 tiger tail cucumbers (one to be shipped to abs - if I can extract it :))

- 1 Atlantic brittle star

- plenty of algae :)

Digital Camera Used: FujiFilm FinePix 2650... yup... xmas pressie!

no comments on the red algae.. I'm workin' on it!

tank1.jpg

Admiring itself in the glass... red legged hermit

hermit1.jpg

I'm ready for my close up!... red legged hermit

hermit4.jpg

Just grazing... mooooo... two red legged hermits

hermit2.jpg

(more in next post)

Exploring their new environment... two reef hermits I believe... anyone know if that's a sponge on the back of the bottom hermit?

hermit3.jpg

I'm on top of the world ma!... blue legged hermit I believe

hermit5.jpg

Fashion show... shake it girls!

hermit6.jpg

This is an interesting shot.. there is a small hole in this rock.. and everytime I check, there's a different hermit pulled up inside of it.. not sure what's in there that's drawing them... the dark object to the right of the cone shaped hermit is another hermit down in the hole... within an hour of adding these hermits, 5 of them were hovering around this outcrop

hermit7.jpg

One of the tiger tails stretching out under a rock ledge...

tt1.jpg

Still much work to do, but many thanks to all those here that have been so helpful in getting me this far!

hermits like to pick "homes" they usually return to an indention in a rock to sleep. They enter and point their shell toward the outside, this way they cn't be ripped from their shell when they are asleep. Yes, the boogie man also roams the reefs.

Kill the cayno and start plant'n that puppy. I would really like to see some corals start'n. I forgot the name of it, chemi something, comes in a white paper packet. A small LFS by me used it in a display tank that had tons of cyano in it and blam, gone in a day. He had tons of coral and fish in the tank and all was good. I normally wouldn't suggest using chemicals to a tank but you don't have much as far as livestock goes and from what I saw, that stuff kicks butt. Hope all goes well with the evil red monster.

well, what's funny is that 5 of the crabs were in that hole one at a time within an hour of adding them to the tank.. now everytime I look, there's a different hermit down in the hole...

A few of the hermits I got supposedly eat the cayno.. I've already seen two of them grazing paths through the stuff.. so it's getting eaten.. I might see how well they do within the week...

After the new year I plan to get a zoo or two from logical :)

Originally posted by Xavier

- Glass thermometer/hydrometer - only used for temp

no one ever said we thought you used it as a hydrometer. we know you aren't "that type of person." I bet you wiegh down the hydrometer so you don't see the reading by mistake.

here's another picture of those hermits clustering around that little cubby in the rock.. it's only big enough for one of them, but they all come back time and time again.. still not sure if anything is down in there...

Good poing Chromis.. yes.. Abs is kindly trading some Stomatella snails for a second small Tiger Tail I got.. assuming it will ever leave it's little hole.. the way the rock is, I can't quite get down there to extract him.. he needs to come out a few more inches...

I'm shining a flashlight down in the rock just to get this shot of it... I didn't want to put the light directly on him, they seem sensitive to bright lights... (and my exposure was a bit low)

tt2.jpg

If the crabs are going that crazy for that hole, you most likely had something living in there at one time. However, I think what was living in it is no longer among the living.

dude, i had a problem with red slime algae too but i used a product called chemi-clean and it was gone in 2 days and nothing else was affected. that was 2 months ago and it still hasn't returned. it's alittle expensive but it's worth it and it will last a while in a nano. o well, just my $.02

Guest AbSoluTc

Xavier-

Email me when you ship. Ill throw in 3 types of macro for you tank to help purify the water a bit and compete with the cyano. If you want, I can add a cup of sand with lots of critters if your intrested.

Should help kick in your system. Just let me know.

Abs... I'd love whatever you want to toss in :).. that lil' bugger loves his lil' hovel though.. he started on his way out, then decided he liked it, and went back in! I found my long plastic tweezers though... as soon as he sticks his head out, he's mine! I've got the box all ready for him :)

Archived